Second bike...? Thoughts?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second bike...? Thoughts?

Second bike...? Thoughts?

I recently sold my 2004 VStar 1100 cruiser, and am down to just the F6B (tough life I am living here...).

I actually enjoyed having the VStar in the lineup. While a cruiser like the F6B (hmmm...is the F6B a cruiser?!?), the VStar was a very different animal. I found myself taking the 1100 out on days above 80 F+ as it has a lot more air flow. Plus, it was fun to ride a bike that felt very different, much more basic. It was different enough that I had to change my riding habits when going from one to the other.

I was telling this to a guy at work who said, yeah, its great having a second bike, but it should be a different type of machine to get a different experience. He didn't buy my argument that the Honda and VStar are very different.

So, I was thinking about what I would like for a second bike. Here is my current, albeit very fluid, list:

1.) Kawasaki Versys 650
    2.) Yamaha FJR1300
    3.) Victory CC/ CC Tour
    4.) VStar 1300

Just throwing this out there for conversation...
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I recently sold my 2004 VStar 1100 cruiser, and am down to just the F6B (tough life I am living here...).

I actually enjoyed having the VStar in the lineup. While a cruiser like the F6B (hmmm...is the F6B a cruiser?!?), the VStar was a very different animal. I found myself taking the 1100 out on days above 80 F+ as it has a lot more air flow. Plus, it was fun to ride a bike that felt very different, much more basic. It was different enough that I had to change my riding habits when going from one to the other.

I was telling this to a guy at work who said, yeah, its great having a second bike, but it should be a different type of machine to get a different experience. He didn't buy my argument that the Honda and VStar are very different.

So, I was thinking about what I would like for a second bike. Here is my current, albeit very fluid, list:

1.) Kawasaki Versys 650
    2.) Yamaha FJR1300
    3.) Victory CC/ CC Tour
    4.) VStar 1300

I have a 2004 Triumph Thunderbird sport and a 2005 BMW 650GS in addition to my F6B. For me it is a perfect stable. Classic, cool basic, sporty Triumph and sort of a "Jeep" BMW- zip around town, a little offroad. If by some miracle the war department allowed another bike I'd go for something really vintage. But the Triumph sort of fills that niche.

Soon as I dump my 2nd bike, a Sportster, I'm going to take a serious look at the Africa Twin.

My second bike is a Triumph Tiger 800xc. A completely different scoot and a blast to ride. I just spent a weekend riding the mountains of PA, both paved and gravel roads. The addition of an adventure bike has really opened up a whole new world of riding in places I would never consider taking the 6B. Two great bikes that make me smile every time out.:

second, third bike

My second bike,a 2014 CB 1100,carries me back to 1980,third bike is a Suzuki DR 650,great bike for back roads

Next to my 2013 F6B is a 02 turbo VTX1800c, a custom 02 VTX1800 C'tro (C & Retro mix), Black 05 Rune, Red 04 Rune and my 08 Kawasaki duel sport KLR 650....works for me.
    The only think I'd like to add is....er....hum.....not a thing

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post

1.) Kawasaki Versys 650
    2.) Yamaha FJR1300
    3.) Victory CC/ CC Tour
    4.) VStar 1300

Of the 4 that you listed, I would go for the Versys. I had a Suzuki 650 V-Strom before getting the F6B and I wish I would have kept it. So much so that I have been eye balling a Versys myself. Not so much as an addition, but to replace the "6". I found out with the Strom that you don't need 1500-1800 cc's to tour.

Of the bikes you listed, I'd also go for the Versys 650. My wife used to have one and I really enjoyed borrowing it. It is a very different riding experience than an F6B, but a good one..

If you don't like riding the F6B when it's hot out, you'll hate the FJR. I used to own one. Even though they "fixed" the heat problem in 2006, I found riding it was a miserable experience when the temp went over 80 degrees.

The Victory CC seems too similar in purpose to the F6B.

I've never taken a VStar 1300 out for a spin, so I don't really have an opinion on that option.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

Cruiser?

Cycle World classified the F6B as a "heavy cruiser."
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I have my 05 VTX1800F, it's not going anywhere, and a 2012 Concours.