Another crane collapse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another crane collapse

Another crane collapse

At the largest infrastructure project in the United States, the Tappan Zee Bridge, another crane collapse today. The good news, no fatalities 5 injuries, from an amateur 's point of view this looks bad.

Cool

I would think it would look bad from any view !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

The one from last year in Manhattan wasn't a complete structural failure at least it maintained some integrity. As I remember the crane in Manhattan was falling in a way, straight down, where the operator was able to try and slow the drop but this one on the Tappan Zee fell sideways, no way to control, not onto a flat surface. I'll defer to the in house expert BIGLRY.

As a 31 yr. federal & state certified, retired crane operator(Operating Engineers Local 12) and lover of the engineering and physics that allow them to make massive lifts to great heights it breaks my heart to see that or hear about any crane failures, lattice or hydraulic. I can only say I'm glad no one was killed especially the operator as they usually have no place to go and are found at the bottom of the ugly heap of twisted metal found when a crane fails.
    From what I can find out the crane was hosting a vibratory hammer that was putting in pilings, a very easy and normal operation not a high risk move or lift. Without knowing any more and pure speculation on my part... since I have done the exact type work many times I suspect a mechanical failure in the 'draw works' of the crane.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    As a 31 yr. federal & state certified, retired crane operator(Operating Engineers Local 12) and lover of the engineering and physics that allow them to make massive lifts to great heights it breaks my heart to see that or hear about any crane failures, lattice or hydraulic. I can only say I'm glad no one was killed especially the operator as they usually have no place to go and are found at the bottom of the ugly heap of twisted metal found when a crane fails.
    From what I can find out the crane was hosting a vibratory hammer that was putting in pilings, a very easy and normal operation not a high risk move or lift. Without knowing any more and pure speculation on my part... since I have done the exact type work many times I suspect a mechanical failure in the 'draw works' of the crane.
    Now that I'm looking at it it didn't fall sideways because it would have to be facing the pilings to drive them home with the hammer. That's why it's good to have an expert.

It looks like it might be a Manitowoc 11000 or 11000-1, this 100 ton crawler is one of Manitowoc's new small crawler cranes.
    Features
    • 100 ton capacity
    • 200 ft. heavy-lift boom
    • Max boom + jib combination: 190 ft. + 60 ft
    • 285 HP engine
    • 535 fpm maximum line speed
    • 25,200 lb. rated line pull

A fun and easy crane to run.

Martha,
    Get me the large tubing bender.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

The Manitowoc crane is build in my home town.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    The Manitowoc crane is build in my home town.
    Great cranes. I trained at Manitowoc's Shady Grove Facility in Pennsylvania for 2 months in 1979. Rode my Kawasaki KZ1300B six cyl out there and back, what an enjoyable trip. Here is a "same as" pic of my scoot, it always looked like it was doing a hundred when standing still.
    I put 225,000 miles on that scoot with only regular maintenance, a valve job and one clutch. the only mod I ever did was to have a RDL saddle made. I only got rid of it when I bought my first VTX1800 in 02 and it is still being ridden today by a guy in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    It looks like it might be a Manitowoc 11000 or 11000-1, this 100 ton crawler is one of Manitowoc's new small crawler cranes.
    Features
    • 100 ton capacity
    • 200 ft. heavy-lift boom
    • Max boom + jib combination: 190 ft. + 60 ft
    • 285 HP engine
    • 535 fpm maximum line speed
    • 25,200 lb. rated line pull

A fun and easy crane to run.
    yeah yeah...what's it's 0-60 time?...actually, yesterday it was 32'/sec/sec you do the math. (I guess since no one was hurt, this is permissible humor?)