jacking up front wheel

Thread: jacking up front wheel

jacking up front wheel

Has anybody ever used a floor jack to raise the bike to get the front wheel off the ground so I can take it off? I can see the bike just tipping over and crashing down on it's side if I don't do it right. Maybe it's a bad idea.

Have a center stand? light pressure underneath with that should do it...from what I've seen on video.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Definitely a center stand helps. If not, you will need to anchor down the rear of the bike with straps before raising the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCGPXWerslU

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I had a small bike shop use a small floor jack to raise bike on the front. It leaned way over on the side stand and kinda looked scary to me as I watched.... I would never try it myself.

Having the rear wheel touch the ground will give a three point stand...while using the center stand...easy!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Center Stand

I've changed 2 front tires and a fork seal. I have the center stand (a must have IMO) and use a floor jack under the front of the engine case. Very easy and very stable.

I use a motorcycle lift

Attachment 22555I have a center stand and while the bike is on it I slide the motorcycle lift under the engine and lift it just enough to clean my front wheel and tire from bugs and debris. But if you just have a regular floor jack you can put a piece of 1X12 on it and slide it under the engine to lift the front tire off the floor. That will support everything and not damage any part under the bike. If you don't have a center stand that would be a problem and a motorcycle jack is definitely the answer for that problem.

This works for me. The floor jack is just to stabilize the bike. Attachment 22556
    2013 F6B in black of course