Seat comfort - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    I came to the F6b from a Vtx1800r. I had to put an ultimate seat on the x right away. To me the F6b seat is very good but i keep getting monkey butt from the heat. Im 6'1 220 lbs and find myself standing up on the pegs to vent and stretch. Just a guess but im thinking since the factory f6b seat is waterproof it does not breathe. However of all the bikes ived had the F6b factory seat is the best. I did just buy an ultimate for the F6b from another great forum member here. Everyone is really helpfull on this fine site.
    x2

I am fussy with seats (had an Ultimate on VStar cruiser and sent it back; settled on an AirHawk R), but the stock seat on the F6B is pretty good. It is wide, so it provides a lot of surface area over several square inches of butt to settle on. Plus, the backrest allows the rider (with long enough legs) to wedge their arse against it to take some pressure off the cheeks.

Today, I rode about 60 miles on the way home, and it was starting to get a little warm and sore after being on the seat for well over an hour.

Seats are very subjective; two guys the same size may despise the same seat because of minuscule preferences. I like the idea of going to the rally and sitting on as many as possible, though you need several hundred miles on a seat before you know if you like it. I was a rare dissatisfied Ultimate buyer; I was glad they had a 30 day return policy.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

5' 10" with 32 inseam at 200lbs and it's a great ride with tons of comfort, IMO. 7 hrs. is my longest ride so for.

For me, 5'11", fat, bad back, 51 yrs old the stock setup can give me a 360 mile day with a lot of stops and doesn't feel too good with swamp butt on top of back discomfort.
    I used to think "what could a backrest possibly do?" and "god, those beads make it look like an old man bike!".
    Took a little solo ride out west and tried out some beads and a backrest in the form of my bag and realized I was wrong.
    Backrests rock, seat beads work. No sweat on butt and, seriously from a guy who has back pain most of the time, 760 miles first day with no pain. I could've kept going. Could not do that without backrest.

Attachment 22302

Regarding risers, here's one owners opinion: http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8...barsaretheshit

I use a pack behind my seat as a back rest on my last trip to Florida (800+ miles each way) and it worked great.
    I bought the Rok straps after the trip and before I go on my next trip to Florida for the fall bike week in Panama City Beach I will perfect this setup. I plan to get it just right in the week before I leave rather than just throwing things on the bike and leaving as quick as I can.

The Rok straps (seem to be very secure way to strap things to the bike) I highly recommend them. I bought a few extra just to have on the bike all the time (you never know).

https://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-RO...rds=rok+straps

Steve

If you are curious about seat beads but don't want to spend a lot you can get a cheap set of beads for a car and remove the end and it reveals a base section that works well on our seats. It's as if they made the base section and attach different length additions to it for different size car seats.
    Heres what I got: Zone Tech Wood Beaded Seat Cushion (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDSTV00..._KnpKxbP4G7V1D

I cut a few strings at the thin end and removed beads until I got to the large base section.
    I wove some of the string back into the front of the base for strength, but it might have been overkill. Ran some paracord through and attached to bike.

Attachment 22305

The factory seat works great for me and my wife. I did add a driver backrest.
    I'm 5' 11" & 190#
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sooooooooooo.... The beads are the way to go?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Sooooooooooo.... The beads are the way to go?
    Everyone is different, some more different than others.
    I'm a 300 lb rider that comes from a family of sweaters. I'm fat and out of shape, dad had no discernible fat and work hardened muscles, brother is former Army Ranger instructor and climbs mountains, does amazing stuff, no fat, hard as a rock. Anyway, as soon as it's humid we always are the first to sweat and we sweat buckets. So maybe my experience won't be like yours.
    In my pre-bead experience my butt would start sweating right away, sometimes I'd stand up to dry it off or hopefully get my underwear un-stuck.
    Now I have no butt sweat if I'm not sitting in stop-go traffic. 760 miles to Amarillo in dry butt heaven. I love the beads.
    A very thin person might not have any problems because of less surface area on the seat, or people who DON'T sweat like a cold glass of water on a hot day might be able to go all day dry.
    The beads I linked to would be a good choice to test the waters. They are probably not as good as the bead riders or other premium solutions but would at least give you an idea if they are for you.
    Oh yeah, you posted something about 98 degrees with 100% humidity as current weather, good God, I can't imagine....wait, yes I can. Got to 99 with 86% humidity today. Getting close!

Same size as OP;
    3000 miles on stock seat this trip. 700 in one day.
    Stock seat isn't bad.

I also have a backrest, bar risers and highway pegs, which give me options to comfortable positions.

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I have a Mustang seat for around town, for looks. I use the stock seat for long trips. I start getting sore after 400 miles or so. Just get to tough it out for the rest of the day.

I would use the stock seat all the time, except it looks like it came off of, or should be put on a moped. What's up with that Honda? A bit more styling would have gone a long ways.
    Albuquerque, NM