F6B with GIVI Trunk
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: F6B with GIVI Trunk

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

F6B with GIVI Trunk

GIVI bags have been around for a while ....

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Does not look to bad on the F6B, but if I wanted a trunk I would have just bought a Goldwing...I am sure that those who want a trunk that is somewhat portable on/off, so to speak, this would be a great choice....Just not my thing.....

I like it. I'm very intrigued how did you make the rack for it. Also, is it possible to mount the rack and trunk a bit lower to the bike, maybe with shorter bolts? To me it would look better to be closer to the body of bike.

94.5677457% of the time I don't want a trunk, but if I rode with a passenger it would be needed. I like the convertible aspect of it. I would also choose a different trunk that's more square to better match the bike.

All in all great job! This setup has a potential to be better than Goldwing's IMO due to being able to be removed and several trunk choices available to choose from currently. 2012 and up Goldwing trunk does not match the rest of the bike to me. Maybe somebody will come out with the trunk specially made for F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    I like it. I'm very intrigued how did you make the rack for it. Also, is it possible to mount the rack and trunk a bit lower to the bike, maybe with shorter bolts? To me it would look better to be closer to the body of bike.

94.5677457% of the time I don't want a trunk, but if I rode with a passenger it would be needed. I like the convertible aspect of it. I would also choose a different trunk that's more square to better match the bike.

All in all great job! This setup has a potential to be better than Goldwing's IMO due to being able to be removed and several trunk choices available to choose from currently. 2012 and up Goldwing trunk does not match the rest of the bike to me. Maybe somebody will come out with the trunk specially made for F6B.

Luke, I received these images through an e-mail (I did not fabricate this). What you see is how the rack is fabricated, GIVI has several styles of bags that would work on this mounting system.

http://youtu.be/UHVkVosNgpQ

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

I like it too. For travelling two up it would be great. Givi has a couple more angular cases available and their mounting plate could easily adapt to a F6B rack. Not sure if you can get it any lower than Phantom has pictured unless you tilt it down to match the sloping rear panel of the F6B. IMO best to keep the trunk level and low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    I like it too. For travelling two up it would be great. Givi has a couple more angular cases available and their mounting plate could easily adapt to a F6B rack. Not sure if you can get it any lower than Phantom has pictured unless you tilt it down to match the sloping rear panel of the F6B. IMO best to keep the trunk level and low as possible.

I currently use 2 GIVI bags as saddlebags on another Bike of mine, been using GIVI bags since 2006. I believe they are still manufactured in Italy, in 2008 I had ordered a couple of replacement trim pieces and I had to wait over 8 weeks for the pieces to come in from Italy. They may have increased their inventory here in the states, not sure. They have a warehouse in North Carolina and one in Nevada. I just noticed that they are also into manufacturing helmets.

Talking

I agree. I have found a couple of pictures of trunks which could be a good match. Also, Shad trunk can be had with accessory rear light which could fill in the empty space btwn. case and bike, as shown in picture. Shad is Spanish made and they make OEM luggage for likes of BMW. I saw these in person at Daytona Bikeweek and they are well made, huge and less expensive than Givi.

Givi:

Attachment 3562

Shad:

Attachment 3563

Both come in black as does my F6B. Next, maybe I can look into ordering the luggage rack from Dale (Honda bikepro), he wrote previously he can make it any shape, so maybe get it in a shape of bottom mount for one of these cases. Just have it on when needed, should be a small black rack when not!

At first I thought I wanted a trunk myself. Not anymore. I've owned a lot of bikes with trunks, I thought to travel that's what you needed. I like my T bag (my first one) with wheels and extendable pull handle. Sure makes it easy getting from the bike to the room. Honda's trunk for the new 1300 might be an option for those wanting one. I had some GIVI's on a first model year Triumph Sprint. All 3 bags looked the same and held a bunch. Well made too. But I think they look funky.

Givi

What mounting brackets are used to mount a Givi trunk ?

Quote Originally Posted by tulku36 View Post
    What mounting brackets are used to mount a Givi trunk ?
    Givi has their own proprietary mounting systems. The most well known of their systems is called the Monokey system, which uses the same mounting bracket for about 15 t0 20 different trunks/bags. They also have a newer system out now called the Monolock system.

http://www.giviusa.com/

You may want to check with one or more of our forum sponsors, and see if any of them supply Givi products.

Most, but not all, of the Givi trunks come with a mounting plate, but the mounting paltes are bike specific. That means...a mounting plate for a BMW R12GS will be a different mounting plate than one for a Suzuki DL 650, but......the same trunk could snap into either one of those munting plates, as the mounting plate acts as a receiver for any and all Givi trunks...within the same system.