Dependability/Reliability - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dependability/Reliability

Cam chain tensioners---EVO cam bearings---$300 service charge every 5K miles.

Just part of the cost of riding a Harley.

The upside is $80 seats on eBay and if your speedometer cable breaks on your 1990 Heritage, the local dealer has 5 in stock(plastic, steel braided, black vinyl, etc) and all are less than $30. (true story) They are simple to work on.

Good and bad on every bike.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    That's okay once they pay to have a stage 13.4 Screaming Chicken flashed on the computer, $5K of engine work done their still all the same.........slow.
    Screaming Chicken???? You're my new favorite person.

There for awhile they was blaming the clutch issues on "big flags" some riders had on their bikes.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Cool

My regular riding buddy rides an Ultra. He had just traded in his 08 on a new 16. Not 4500 miles and something went wrong with his clutch. Engine wouldn't engage transmission. He called me from the side of the road. He took it in and while it was under warranty, the mechanic tried saying it was how he was using the clutch. Releasing the clutch too slow or something. His 08 Ultra had a cable operated clutch and his new 16 a hydraulic. Mechanic tried feeding this crap to him. He's been all but ready to buy a Honda...
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

That's okay once they pay to have a stage 13.4 Screaming Chicken flashed on the computer, $5K of engine work done their still all the same.........slow.
    Hey, question for those that know...Yesterday I got the new issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. Had a rode test of the new HD Low Rider S. Article claims that this model will beat most stock Harleys in a drag race..It shows 1/4 mile time @13.45 sec. @101.1mph..That sure ain't very fast...What is the same stats for a good running, stock F6B??...I know it has to be faster than this "pig" as I have had no real trouble beating 110 HD's in a short drag when the occasion arises..Not looking to race anyone much at my age, but I thought I saw somewhere the F6B does the 1/4 mile in about 12+ seconds at about 110 or mph...Regards, just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Hey, question for those that know...Yesterday I got the new issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. Had a rode test of the new HD Low Rider S. Article claims that this model will beat most stock Harleys in a drag race..It shows 1/4 mile time @13.45 sec. @101.1mph..That sure ain't very fast...What is the same stats for a good running, stock F6B??...I know it has to be faster than this "pig" as I have had no real trouble beating 110 HD's in a short drag when the occasion arises..Not looking to race anyone much at my age, but I thought I saw somewhere the F6B does the 1/4 mile in about 12+ seconds at about 110 or mph...Regards, just curious...
    Acording to ..... Cycle World's evaluation between the Harley-Davidson CVO Road Glide and the Honda F6B.
    The H-D hp 91.27 @ 4970 rpm, F6B 103.66 @ 5580 rpm
    H-D Torque 109.9 ft.-lb. @ 3750 rpm, F6B 109.9 ft.-lb. @ 4160 rpm
    H- 1/4-mile 12.49 sec. @ 104.83 mph, F6B 11.84 sec. @ 110.97 mph
    H-D 60 mph 3.7 sec. F6B 60 mph 3.3 sec
    Dry weight, H-D 824 lb. F6B 813 lb
    "The Honda’s roll-on acceleration in top gear also was a little better, edging the Harley by about three-quarters of a second from 40 to 60 mph and 60 to 80. But amazingly enough, both bikes posted identical top speeds: 124 mph.

But the Honda excels in too many important ways to play second fiddle. It’s faster, smoother and, when both rider and passenger comforts are taken into account, more luxurious. And unless you’ve either won the lottery or are prospering in these early recovery times, you can’t dismiss the $13,000 MSRP discrepancy between the Honda and the Harley. For that amount, you could buy any one of numerous full-size, top-quality motorcycles—or even a compact car!"
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22...omparison-test

On a side note the H-D tested had the screaming chicken flash in it so not completely stock imo even though it is a factory option.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    Screaming Chicken???? You're my new favorite person.
    'Screaming Chicken 13.4' slang for H-D factory or mechanics upgrade flash done to H-D's 'Screaming Eagle Performance Tuner' also know as the 'Screaming Chicken Tuner' since they need all the help they can get in the power department imo.
    http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ance-tuner-kit

...On a side note the H-D tested had the screaming chicken flash in it so not completely stock imo even though it is a factory option.
    If Guhl had re-flashed the F6B, that top speed would have been significantly higher.....plus lord only knows what other numbers may have changed.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    If Guhl had re-flashed the F6B, that top speed would have been significantly higher.....plus lord only knows what other numbers may have changed.....
    Ya know I keep kicking this mod over an over in my brain as I have plans to put a set of the torquer(is that a word) Rune cams in my F6B...........hummmmm just can't pull the trigger yet.

The solution to Harley's clutch problem

Instead of spending untold millions on 3D cutouts and postage how about a little R&D so this doesn't happen over and over. Got this today in the mail, are they kidding? I put it together because one of my grandsons is coming over tomorrow and I'm sure he'll run it over with his Tonka dump truck.