I have some business in Amarillo week after next, and am going to ride the F6B there, and then take off to New Mexico and Colorado. Goal is to leave Amarillo Wednesday, and get back to Dallas on Sunday. A buddy is going with me on his Concours 1400. Our plan is to head toward Red River/Taos after first night, then up to Durango/Silverton for one night, then towards Colorado Springs. He mentioned climbing Pike's Peak, which would be a blast, but I'm thinking our time would be better served with two nights in the Durango/Silverton area.

There is a loop that goes out of Ouray down through Sawpit and Teilluride, Rico, Dolores and back to Durango that looks incredible, but this would require another day in that area, and make it tough to also get to Pike's Peak, and get home by Sunday. I've been to Pike's Peak, he has not. I thought from Durango, we could go east and take 50 to 149, and take 149 down to 160. That looks incredible, but I don't know if that is all paved or if a 4 x 4 would be needed, like the Alpine Loop, and if this is a good road for motorcycles. I also thought maybe going further east and taking 114 down. If anyone familiar with the area had some thoughts on preferred routes, I would love the feedback. I guess we could always extend the trip a day as long as we are out that way, but he mentioned needing to be back by Sunday night. Thanks in advance for any tips.