Western Colorado Road questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Western Colorado Road questions

Don't Forget Traffic

I forgot to mention traffic in Colorado. It can be bad, especially in the summer, and ski season too for that matter. Anywhere close to the big cities on the eastern side (Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins and Pueblo) can remind you of L.A. or Houston traffic at times. US-24 west of Colorado Springs is stop and go for miles on weekends. I-70 west of Denver can be bumper to bumper all the way to the continental divide.

The west side of the state is much better. You'll still run into motor homes holding up a dozen cars but at least you're moving, and can always stop and take pictures. The main roads (US-550, US-50, US-24, US-40 and I-70) tend to be the worst in the west. The state roads like CO-145 and CO-141 will be better.

And there's also CO-65 over the Grand Mesa. That ride is spectacular and very lightly travelled.

Quote Originally Posted by miramiramira View Post
    What everybody else is saying about the Southwest corner of CO is spot on. You really can’t pick a bad ride. I’ll chime in about getting there.

I ride from Lubbock to CO at least twice a year. I can get to Durango or Gunnison in a day (through Taos and Chama) and I stage from one of those two cities. It’s day’s worth to be sure but entirely doable.

Going from Amarillo to Taos, consider picking up 104 out of Tucumcari (if you’re willing to exceed the speed limit). It’s a gorgeous ride and it’s a great view rolling off the high plateau into Las Vegas. Or, consider staying on the freeway past Santa Rosa and picking up 84 to Las Vegas. Lately, that’s been my choice of road, it’s not quite as scenic but it’s faster.

If you stay in Raton on the way back, you’ll be thinking about 87 Through Clayton, etc. to get back into Texas. I’d recommend against it because 87 in Dalhart is under major construction and the traffic tie up is brutal (easily over an hour of bumper to bumper stop and go). There isn’t a good way around the construction due to the railroad tracks. Consider running down 25 until you get to Springer or Wagon Mound and dropping down 39 to get back to 40.

This loop, “Durango, we could go east and take 50 to 149, and take 149 down to 160.” That route, Durango to Ouray to Montrose to Gunnison to Creede, to South Fork and back to Durango is all paved and it’s a fine ride. 114 is a good road until you get to Saguache, then it’s tedium. If I wanted to do 114, I’d probably turn around at Saguache and head back to 149. But, I’d probably skip 114 in favor of 149.

CO is a blast, have fun.
    Great info and thanks for the heads up about Dalhart. I want no part of that mess. I guess that would explain why a laquinta room there is $165.00 a night. I couldn't figure out why the rooms were so high there, as I looked at staying there one night. I'm sure I will make some revisions here with this info. Thanks much and Go Tech!!!!!!! I went to school there and by no small coincidence my bike is RED AND BLACK and is appropriately named RED RAIDER.

Colorado roads

This thread has really become fun. As I said previously Colorado is one of my favorite places to ride and I go there several times a year. What is amazing is that with all the responses here you don't see that many bikes on the road. There are always other motorcycles on US-550 but most of time when you ride the other roads mentioned here you are mostly by yourself.

Enjoy the trip and ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    That Loop starting in Durango sounds every bit as good as I had hoped. I don't want to do 400-500 mile days, but may have to a couple simply due to time restraints. The routes you are describing are pretty much how we are getting up to Durango, through Taos, up to Pagosa Springs, and over. Originally, I had us booked for two nights in Durango, but since my buddy must be back Sunday, the loop in Durango may get missed. As it stands now we are riding from Taos to Delta, then the next day hitting 92 to 149 and try to get to Raton that day.

IF we left early enough, I was wondering what yours and Jeffedose thoughts would be about us riding from Amarillo all the way to Durango via the route mentioned (through Taos, 64/84 to 160). That would put us at about 570 miles for the day, but that would give us the extra day to ride the San Juan loop out of Durango. At least it would be cooler than we are used to. Coming out of Amarillo is pretty straight and into New Mexico until we get a littler deeper in, allowing us to ride at a pretty good pace. I typically like to have the extra time to be able to "slow things down" a bit and enjoy the local areas, but it's not always possible. I'd love to be able to ride that San Juan loop while we are out there, but also realize you can't do it all every trip. I am still lobbying for him to be able to stay an extra day. Thanks for the great information

can you send me a pm with your phone number a call might b easier ....Amarillo to Durango can be done good ride

OK, we have our route pretty well set. Leave Amarillo after business meetings (5 pmish) and head to Tucumcari for the night. (avoiding traffic tie up in Dalhart) 120 miles
    Head to Durango next morning via Taos 84/64 to Pagosa Springs, then 160 to Durango. Approx 400 miles
    Head to Dolores, and up 145 to Placerville, then Ridgeway and down to Ourway/Silverton. Head up to Delta for the night. Won't be able to get 141/Gateway on this trip. This is approx a 250 mile day
    Head to Raton via 92 to 50, then 50 to 149, then ride to Raton, NM. Long day here, close to 400 miles.

That will be our route. The rest will be a long trek back to the DFW area, with a possible stop in Wichita Falls.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a great trip ahead, albeit a little faster paced than I usually shoot for.

OK, we have our route pretty well set. Leave Amarillo after business meetings (5 pmish) and head to Tucumcari for the night. (avoiding traffic tie up in Dalhart) 120 miles
    Head to Durango next morning via Taos 84/64 to Pagosa Springs, then 160 to Durango. Approx 400 miles
    Head to Dolores, and up 145 to Placerville, then Ridgeway and down to Ourway/Silverton. Head up to Delta for the night. Won't be able to get 141/Gateway on this trip. This is approx a 250 mile day
    Head to Raton via 92 to 50, then 50 to 149, then ride to Raton, NM. Long day here, close to 400 miles.

That will be our route. The rest will be a long trek back to the DFW area, with a possible stop in Wichita Falls.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a great trip ahead, albeit a little faster paced than I usually shoot for.
    That's a good ride given your time and distance constraints. You should have a blast. Here's some dining suggestions (if you like places that look like dives but serve excellent food). Of course, all being said, if I'm trying to make distance fast, I just shove it down in McDonalds. In Tucumcari, the Pow Wow Restaurant and Lizard Lounge has good breakfast (and it puts you on Route 66 for a nostalgia moment). In Las Vegas, lunch at Johnny's Mexican Kitchen can't be beat. In Taos, Doc Martin's (and not a dive) is excellent (park in the public paid parking at the crossroads and Doc Martin's is just a block north). I've never found great food in Durango. The El Ranchero is a good place for an after ride beer and local flavor although it can be a bit loud.

At Las Vegas, NM take the second exit (NM 104). that'll put you right at fuel and Johnny's Mexican Kitchen.

Oh, what else? Taos can be a bottleneck. If you want to see old Taos, that can't be helped. Otherwise you can work your way around on the west side via Quesnel St. and Camino de la Placita. You'll cross the Rio Grande Gorge west of Taos and then between Lake City and Creede, you'll pick up the headwaters of the Rio Grande. It's sure a different river than it is in Big Bend.

You will come to hate Travel America rental RV's......

Big Red says hi to Red Raider, have an excellent ride.

Thank you for the restaurant choices. That is a big help. Looking forward to this trip, except the 287 to Amarillo for 350 miles. That is one boring, long drive.

Delta Restaurants

My Mom lived in Delta for several years. Daveto's Italian and El Tapatio are on the main street and quite good. The Stockyard on the south side of Delta has great breakfast. Haven't had dinner there but hear the steaks are good.

Back from Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    My Mom lived in Delta for several years. Daveto's Italian and El Tapatio are on the main street and quite good. The Stockyard on the south side of Delta has great breakfast. Haven't had dinner there but hear the steaks are good.
    I wanted to thank all of those with outstanding recommendations for roads, where to eat, etc. I got back from Colorado Sunday. We hit perfect weather, cool temps and incredible roads. If you ever get to Western Colorado, be sure and run Hwy 92, West Elk Loop. This pic is not from there, but pretty well sums up the trip.
    Attachment 22810

Here are a few more pics.
    Attachment 22814Attachment 22815Attachment 22816Attachment 22817

Colorado Highway 92

I wanted to thank all of those with outstanding recommendations for roads, where to eat, etc. I got back from Colorado Sunday. We hit perfect weather, cool temps and incredible roads. If you ever get to Western Colorado, be sure and run Hwy 92, West Elk Loop. This pic is not from there, but pretty well sums up the trip.
    Attachment 22810
    +100 on Highway 92. The north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is absolutely spectacular. The curves as you weave in and out of the 'little canyons' are some of the best riding in the state. There's practically no traffic, and the locals often pull over for motorcycles!

Interestingly, there were two Valkyrie rallies held in Montrose back in 1999 and 2000. The banquets were in Crawford, right in the middle of Highway 92. Joe Cocker's wife Pam, who rode a Honda Shadow, owned a restaurant there and catered the events. Joe himself handed out some of the door prizes. I've never been to a better rally.