help!!! Full / Modular Helmet on the highway Help!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help!!! Full / Modular Helmet on the highway Help!!!

I think I just need to adjust the Madstad???? or put my F4 Customs back on and see how I like it.

How do you guys run yours? I have mine all the way down and all the way back towards me (I think)

Steve

Thank you for all the responses.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I think I just need to adjust the Madstad???? or put my F4 Customs back on and see how I like it.

How do you guys run yours? I have mine all the way down and all the way back towards me (I think)

Steve
    If I have my Madstad all the way down, I receive too much buffeting on the highway. It doesn't matter if it is tilted forward, back, or in the middle; down = buffeting for me. I run mine about half-way up most of the time. If it is extra buggy or chilly then I'll move it all the way up to get a little more protection since I ride with a half helmet. Half way up is adequate to eliminate buffeting at highway speeds for me.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post

Steve
    Maybe that's the issue. I run a 1/2" under stock shorty tint screen so I get the breeze to my helmet.

I have been battling this exact same issue all summer. I always wear a full face helmet, currently a Scorpion, but the extreme heat this summer finally got to me and I purchased a Scorpion modular. The modular allows me to get some air at stoplights, more air as I am moving slow through parking lots, and I can also grab something to drink while on the bike. I find with both helmets that I ride with the face shield up most of the time. I do wear a pair of slightly tinted sunglasses which provides eye protection and allows me to get some air while riding. If we are rolling at a fast pace I will drop the built in sun visor down and that prevents more air from hitting my face. This past summer I welcomed the air hitting my face. Of course this is all contingent upon the position I have my Madstad in. Full face , modular, Madstad up, down, forward ,back, it's seems to be an ongoing experiment with me.
    For those of you that are experiencing "hot spots" in your helmets, here is what I have done. I was getting a "hot spot / burning sensation on the top of my forehead after about an hour of riding. This was with all three of my helmets. I took one of my helmets and removed the top liner (mine are washable so they can be removed) I could easily see the foam lined shell. I determined as best I could where the "hot Spot" was on the inside of the helmet. I then took a softball and rolled it on the foam with a little bit of pressure. Installed liner back in helmet and all is good.( Now I know I will probably get flamed and accused of destroying the integrity of the helmet, but I believe compressing the foam in one particular spot a 16th of an inch where it digs into my forehead will not matter much in the big picture of a crash) Just my opinion whether it's right or wrong. I am now able to wear it for hours without any burning on my forehead. I have since done it to my other two helmets and the results have been the same.
    Sorry I got of topic there. Bottom line for me is I prefer a full face helmet but ride most of the time with the shield up. Having the built in sun visor is even more convenient.

Very expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Really doesn't look like it would channel enough air past your ears to cool anything in extremely hot weather. The price is 3 time what my HJC IS-Cruiser helmet sells for. All helmets have to meet a standard to be out there for sale and applications vary for sure. A full face helmet is for cooler weather and so is a full helmet and the HJC IS Cruiser is for hot weather and works well in that scenario.

I probably run my helmets a size larger than recommended...it's the only way I've found to be comfortable. With my full face I run with the visor cracked most of the time otherwise it's claustrophobic feeling. Been running HJC's for years.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    I probably run my helmets a size larger than recommended...it's the only way I've found to be comfortable. With my full face I run with the visor cracked most of the time otherwise it's claustrophobic feeling. Been running HJC's for years.
    I have always bought HJC's as well. And I had been running them for quite some time at a larger size than necessary, until one day a salesman at a bike shop explained to me I needed a large instead of an X-Large. Now I don't feel too much like the pumpkin head I used to be. My wife may disagree with me though...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

THE SHARK EVOLINE IS A BIT EXPENSIVE---However, as I get older the determining factors in helmets are comfort and WEIGHT! Many of the full face and modular helmets are very heavy. I have found that the Bell 500 and Kubota Advant are very light for the mass. I also have a Vega Full Face Carbon Fiber that is lighter than most half helmets---less than 3 lbs if I remember correctly. However it is not well vented. Many that are vented are noisy.

I guess what I am swaying is that comfort needs to be figured into the equation when purchasing. Helmets I really loved--but could not wear are Nolan (because of the fit) and HJC because of the weight. Strangely enough, Bilt (from Cycle Gear) has some very affordable lightweight comfortable lids at a very good price if you can catch them on sale.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have been considering the Nolan N44 Outlaw. I have owned a couple Nolan's over the years. This looks to have plenty of air flow.
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...elmet#overview