Road trippin - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road trippin

Quote Originally Posted by f6bdan View Post
    Flying from new York to dallas, tx. tomorrow to pick up my f6b. Had to leave it there back in late may, the weather was horrible and I needed to get back so I flew home. Should be a good time riding home.
    If this is a brand new F6B... MAKE SURE that you have the rear differential checked for proper fluid level before you ride that thing all the way back to New York. Many of our late year F6B's were low up to 3 ounces of gear oil.

If it's a dealer, crawl under the right rear exhaust and watch and validate the differential fluid level with him. Do not take their word... that they checked it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    If this is a brand new F6B... MAKE SURE that you have the rear differential checked for proper fluid level before you ride that thing all the way back to New York. Many of our late year F6B's were low up to 3 ounces of gear oil.

If it's a dealer, crawl under the right rear exhaust and watch and validate the differential fluid level with him. Do not take their word... that they checked it.
    I've seen this come up on this forum before. I bought the bike new in April of this year. I had to fly home on a recent ride down there. My son just took it to a local dealer for the 4000 mile service knowing I was going to ride it home. I will check that gear oil level befor I head north. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    If you're going to Hot Springs anyway, go via the Talimena Scenic byway. It starts in Talahina, Oklahoma and runs 54 miles across a mountain range (as good as we have in these parts) ending in Mena, Arkansas. Hot Springs is a very nice 70 mile drive from there. This will be much, much more pleasant than running up 30. Half the ride to Talihena is not that great, but still better than Interstate. This is my favorite overnight ride to make from the Dallas area. I like to go up 75 north, just past Atoka, Oklahoma, then take 43 to and around Sardis Lake, and then hwy 2 into Talahina. From 43 on is a good ride.

Safe Travels.
    This is the route my daughter told me to take, I'll be leaving from frisco, tx. The destination is close to hot springs it lake Ouachita. I'll get there on fri. Fishing on Sat. On the road again sun. My brother,cousin and nephew are planing to meet me in Nashville and ride back to new York together. They all ride Harleys, hope I can keep up. However it works out it will be fun. Thanks for the info on the route.

Quote Originally Posted by f6bdan View Post
    Going to avoid major highways when possible. No great rush to get back this time. If it gets to hot, I'll travel early,early morning and put in befor noon.
    "If it gets hot". Sorry, had to laugh. You will be lucky to have it under 80 at 6am. Good luck. Find some shady routes!