Coolant level
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant level

Lightbulb Coolant level

I pulled the left (black)engine cover off looking for the battery (not there) and while I was there I pulled out the coolant dipstick. It's very difficult to tell what the level is with the green coolant on the black plastic dipstick. Coolant doesn't stick to the plastic dipstick so well. Anyone have a suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by HBWinger View Post
    I pulled the left (black)engine cover off looking for the battery (not there) and while I was there I pulled out the coolant dipstick. It's very difficult to tell what the level is with the green coolant on the black plastic dipstick. Coolant doesn't stick to the plastic dipstick so well. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Dry dip stick and paint white, after all it is plastic and will take paint well if prepared first.

Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Dry dip stick and paint white, after all it is plastic and will take paint well if prepared first.
    Thank you good idea.

coolant level

I was told that if its touching the dipstick there is enough in the system. don't know if that is gospel or not! But that's where mine is right at the bottom of the stick and for over 12000 miles hasn't given me any trouble.

Rough up the lower portion of the plastic dipstick with some sandpaper (or steel wool); then you will see the coolant on it.

Takes like 5 seconds.

Do it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Rough up the lower portion of the plastic dipstick with some sandpaper (or steel wool); then you will see the coolant on it.......

I like this one MUCH better than painting it. Eventually, that paint will come off...especially in an environment rich in antifreeze. Probably won't hurt your engine when it does come off. But, then again....why gamble?

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Here's a thread jack, but what's the reservoir on the right side near the oil dip stick? It looked empty on the last oil change I did and I thought that was for anti freeze. I don't have any issues....
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Here's a thread jack, but what's the reservoir on the right side near the oil dip stick? It looked empty on the last oil change I did and I thought that was for anti freeze. I don't have any issues....
    The only reservoir on the right side near the dip stick is the rear brake pedal master cylinder. Obviously shouldn't be empty, but maybe the brake fluid is too full and you can't see the top of it? Or maybe it's empty...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    The only reservoir on the right side near the dip stick is the rear brake pedal master cylinder. Obviously shouldn't be empty, but maybe the brake fluid is too full and you can't see the top of it? Or maybe it's empty...........................
    Maybe I should check it!
    I've always been skeptical of the dealer I bought it from. Seems fine but maybe just needs topping off.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Rough up the lower portion of the plastic dipstick with some sandpaper (or steel wool); then you will see the coolant on it.

Takes like 5 seconds.

Do it.
    Yes Sir, right away, Sir.