Skully Officially Admits Defeat - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skully Officially Admits Defeat

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    Yeah I remember at the end of the commercial, it pulled into a triangle shaped garage.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I've slept a few times since I had that car, so I no longer recall the actual paint code. But, the name they gave it was Delft Blue.

.....sT
    Very nice colour.

At the time I was choosing between a British Racing Green Spitfire with tan seats and a Salmon coloured Fiat 124 Spider...I actually passed on a deeply discounted NEW Karmann Ghia

They couldn't give those VW's away back then, now they're very collectible. Does that remind anyone of anything??

I hate to break this to you, but the picture you have is not Simon Templar (played by Roger Moore in "The Saint") but John Drake (played by Patrick McGoohan in "Secret Agent" (or "Danger Man" in the U.K.) whose theme song was Secret Agent Man). Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    I hate to break this to you, but the picture you have is not Simon Templar (played by Roger Moore in "The Saint") but John Drake (played by Patrick McGoohan in "Secret Agent" (or "Danger Man" in the U.K.) whose theme song was Secret Agent Man). Sorry.
    Hate to break it to you...that's been bandied about several times in the past several months.

The error in the picture was deliberate.

Sorry

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Yeah I remember at the end of the commercial, it pulled into a triangle shaped garage.....

Yep...used to have that commercial on a hard drive somewhere. Can't seem to find it now, however.

Owning a 7 gave an entirely new meaning to the word 'Wedgie'.

I do miss the 7. Times got hard for awhile back in the '80's and it became necessary to trade it for something more reliable. Wish I hadn't had to do that. Still have the shop manual on the shelf and a nearly brand new bra for one.

The TR7 was one of the first (if not THE first) model designed after the nationalization of the UK car makers (under the moniker British Leyland). As such, it was design-by-bean-counter rather than by engineer. Many TR7 parts were re-purposed parts from other Brits.

For instance....the motors on the drop-away headlights were actually windshield wiper motors from a Spitfire with a different actuator linkage and control network. There were a number of other similar such parts. Part of being a long-term owner was learning exactly what came from where, so you knew where to go when you needed to replace something.

And of course...one needed to know how to deal with the handiwork of Lucas Electrics. But that was something ANY Brit owner had to learn.

All Lucas light switches had three settings....Dim, Flicker, and Off. And things only got worse from there.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Very nice colour.

At the time I was choosing between a British Racing Green Spitfire with tan seats and a Salmon coloured Fiat 124 Spider...I actually passed on a deeply discounted NEW Karmann Ghia

They couldn't give those VW's away back then, now they're very collectible. Does that remind anyone of anything??

Trouble was....the Spits fell apart and rusted out nearly as fast as mid-70's Fords and the 124's had more than their share of troubles as well (although they did fare better than the X1/9 did, I'll admit). If you can find a Spitfire still in good condition today, take a picture. You'll likely never see another one.

I wish I'd picked up a Kharman Ghia too. Of the three...they were probably the smartest choice, unless you were buying specifically to have an ongoing garage project. (and some people did.)

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

Hate to break it to you...that's been bandied about several times in the past several months.

The error in the picture was deliberate.

Sorry

....sT
    Good touche!

And of course...one needed to know how to deal with the handiwork of Lucas Electrics. But that was something ANY Brit owner had to learn.

All Lucas light switches had three settings....Dim, Flicker, and Off. And things only got worse from there.

....sT
    We used to refer to Lucas as the "Prince of Darkness"

Not so much an issue with the recent past ownership of my Triumph Rocket III, although the Brits had warned me about not letting out the smoke within the wiring looms.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Yes, well.....some of us still do......

Vest Patch.jpg

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired