Rethinking run flats
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking run flats

Rethinking run flats

I received a new (I thought) ESCTA and didn't look at the date code before installing. Ripped the bead it was soo stiff. NOW I look and see but I still wouldn't have though a 6 yr old tire would be that hard but it is now in the crap pile.

And the ESCTA is no longer available, soo I am now back to looking for a replacement but I think I may go back to non runflats. This Kumho was my first runflat and mounting them are tough enough. IF I received the mileage I had anticipated or at least could have stuck with the Kumho being very happy with the performance, then maybe.

Sooooo

General G-MAX AS-03 IF still available
    or
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor V rated UTQG: 560 A A

If I stick with a run flat then

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat

OK so where is the little icon with the guy pounding his head on a wall ????
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I received a new (I thought) ESCTA and didn't look at the date code before installing. Ripped the bead it was soo stiff. NOW I look and see but I still wouldn't have though a 6 yr old tire would be that hard but it is now in the crap pile.

And the ESCTA is no longer available, soo I am now back to looking for a replacement but I think I may go back to non runflats. This Kumho was my first runflat and mounting them are tough enough. IF I received the mileage I had anticipated or at least could have stuck with the Kumho being very happy with the performance, then maybe.

Sooooo

General G-MAX AS-03 IF still available
    G-Max....Discount Tire Direct $94.77

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=16&cs=195

I have the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat installed. Great tire. Outstanding in wet or dry !!! Currently running 34* if I could I would run 32* But the TPMS does not like 34* either!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I just bought and mounted a G-Max. Just went for a short spin, think I might like this.

SierraKen
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I have the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat installed. Great tire. Outstanding in wet or dry !!! Currently running 34* if I could I would run 32* But the TPMS does not like 34* either!
    Noticed you mounted the new tire on a chrome rim. How much chrome shows once it's on the bike. I just ordered a new Driveguard and am wondering if a chrome rim on the rear looks too obvious or if I should just bite the bullet and get it powder coated flat black to match the front.

Thanks

PlastiDip

I have a brushed aluminum rim which I applied several coats of PlasticDip to. That wheel now has 49+K miles on it with my second G-max and looks like the day I first painted it. I prefer the PD to Powder Coating as it can easily be pealed off if need be

000_0457.jpg000_0454.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SierraKen View Post
    Noticed you mounted the new tire on a chrome rim. How much chrome shows once it's on the bike. I just ordered a new Driveguard and am wondering if a chrome rim on the rear looks too obvious or if I should just bite the bullet and get it powder coated flat black to match the front.

Thanks
    Rrear wheel gets too dirty quickly, to make a pleasing and lasting chrome presentation to the eye. Powder coat that sucker flat black. Hides dirt well... no need to constantly polish it.... unless that's all you like to do

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I gotta quit procrastinating and get my Michelin Aplpine PA3 run flat mounted... Hate to take the OEM M/C tire at this point, because it's at half life at this time (don't want to waste the rubber) but the Rally is approaching soon... and it ain't got enough rubber to make it back from there.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by zzh54 View Post
    I just bought and mounted a G-Max. Just went for a short spin, think I might like this.

Jeff:

Make sure you keep us posted on your experience

I borrowed a Gmax and ran it for 400 miles. I was not pleased. I could feel the tread and it snapped up and down when leaning. Definitely did not feel like a motorcycle tire. Ended up buying a Bridgestone Alpin and love it. The tire is invisible and drives like a MC
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.