Rethinking run flats - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rethinking run flats

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Originally, the tire was a 612, sold exclusively by Discount Tire for around $70. I still have one more new one left in my own stock. That model was discontinued and replaced by the ZE-912. Here is one of many links to it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TIRE-195...-/252476664909

As I have mentioned previously, I originally found this tire being used by Yellow Wolf and friends, some of the fastest Gold Wing riders in Western NC. For super-aggressive riders, this tire doesn't last all that long (mainly due to edge wear) but the performance and feel in wet or dry conditions is unbeatable, in my experience. The fact that this tire is not symmetrical is a non-factor since it goes left or right equally well. So, in summary, this tire would be for someone looking more for performance in any conditions than uber-long tread life.
    If I were to go DS, my main concern is handling and that the nimble feeling of my F6B ( yes I mentioned nimble and a Gold Wing in the same sentence ...lol ) is not affected. I really enjoy the ability to toss this big bike back and forth in the twisties and don't want that to be compromised. I know that DS on my Valkyrie does affect it adversly ,in my opinion, this way. So what kind of life/mileage are we talking about?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Another question Hornblower, I see that it is a 55. Are you running lower? Reduced cornering/ground clearance?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Did you actually (manually) spoon on a run flat tire? Or do you/did you have a machine?
    I used the machine at a friends Tire shop. Won't do that again, I'll leave it up to him from now on.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraKen View Post
    Noticed you mounted the new tire on a chrome rim. How much chrome shows once it's on the bike. I just ordered a new Driveguard and am wondering if a chrome rim on the rear looks too obvious or if I should just bite the bullet and get it powder coated flat black to match the front.

Thanks
    That is the wheel off my new to me 14 GL1800 Nav. No it is not worth the money to go chrome. Like Bob said the dip is the way to go !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I used the machine at a friends Tire shop. Won't do that again, I'll leave it up to him from now on.
    I hope the local tire gorilla doesn't destroy my wheel when he mounts the Michellin Alpine PA3 I have...

.. .on a slightly related note; .I remember Fredericktown Yamaha telling me to never come back for another tire mounting; when I brought in a 240 tire to mount on my past Rocket III. Those British wheels on that bike have no wheel wells; terribly difficult apparently for new tires to be mounted. Apparently it seriously kicked their butt. Or they didn't know what they were doing. And they SELL Rocket III's...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Another question Hornblower, I see that it is a 55. Are you running lower? Reduced cornering/ground clearance?
    Not sure about that. I drag a lot but then again, I did that with the stock MC tire as well. My guess is the clearance is pretty close to the same.

In your previous post, you also asked about tire life with the Falken. Here again, I haven't kept records so I can't give a definitive answer but I will say this...I have to replace the rear tire due to edge wear alone and that has been the case regardless of the CT choice. I always have lots of tire left in the center but the edges are chewed off and that happens fairly quickly. And, depending on where I've been riding, is usually less than 10K miles. Like I've said before, I don't go DS for tire life, I do it for performance. BTW, in riding with my Western NC friends, I would only get maybe 3 weekends on both front and rear tires. OTOH, if I happen to be going on a long trip with a lot of interstate and fairly straight roads, I would expect 20K or more miles out of these tires. It all comes down to how you ride.
    Ken (Hornblower)