Need advice on backrest - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on backrest

Diagrams!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Thanks for posting the diagrams. May I ask, where did you find those diagrams? Are there more somewhere? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paqcom View Post
    Thanks for posting the diagrams. May I ask, where did you find those diagrams? Are there more somewhere? Thanks.
    Not at all. A member here provided this link sometime ago. It's quite useful. You might have to refresh the page and if so, click on the link [top page] to the upper right. You will want to navigate to GL1800B for 2013.

http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/ei9998.aspx

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by paqcom View Post
    I could see those doodads after removing the screws. Didn't want to pull too hard, I was afraid of breaking something. Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Out riding the beast all day. What an awesome ride. Stopped in a rest area and had a couple around my age asking about the bike. She wanted to try out the passenger seat. I let her get on, he took a photo of us. I hope my fiance doesn't find it on the internet somewhere. Last week had two young ladies asking for a ride... Thanks for your help! I'll let you know if I'm successful...
    Putting my hand in did the trick. Popped right off. Side note; whoever put the bolts on for the bracket tightened them way too tight. One of the bolts is now turning in the white plastic piece without coming loose. Got it off anyway though... Success! Thanks for your help.

Ultimate Seats Passenger back rest Brackets

Think Steve's solution has better price point

#18140-D-BO - Passenger backrest bracket ONLY for Deluxe model F6B - 3 inches higher than stock.
    Picture shows stock bracket and stock pad
    vs
    Ultimate bracket with stock pad
    $45
    http://www.ultimateseats.ca/f6b_oebr_compare.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lawndee View Post
    I called Corbin today, the sell their P/N "H-F6B-PAD" which is just what is says, a replacement backrest pad, which uses the Honda backrest brackets and hardware. $298.00 shipped. 2-3 week lead-time. It will fit the bike either with Corbin's seat, or the Honda factory seat, thankfully, so that eases the over-budget burden on the bike seating. Aren't bike projects *always* over-budget !

As they build to order, you can pretty much have it look the way you want. I went with black & black, no piping, no tuck & roll on the surface so it will sorta' match the Utopia.

After all the smoke and dust have settled for me with this "what do I do" situation, I end up with the Honda OEM seat, a Utopia driver backrest, Corbin passenger backrest pad mounted on Honda OEM backrest frame and brackets. Wife approves purchase of Corbin backrest, as she was very displeased with the Honda part. The Corbin pad is generously sized.

Trouble is, I buy the Honda OEM backrest, throw away the pad (toy for the dog?), use the hardware, and then buy another pad at basically the same money as the Honda OEM backrest costs. Total passenger backrest outlay - about $600.00

Summary: OEM seat $20,000, Utopia driver backrest $199.00, Honda OEM passenger backrest $300.00, Corbin replacement pad, $298.00. All for a seat on 2 wheels, but wow what a set of wheels!

I'll put up a couple of pix when the parts come in and installed.
    The stock setup was an after thought by Honda IMHO. It does provide a place to put you foot while wheeling. How did your setup workout.

Corbin Passenger Backrest

Has anyone installed one of these. $300 seems steep considering the Mustang was only $550.

I emailed Jeff Schultz at stormlakehonda.com they have a backrest extension for $150 they are refining it at mo due to some rattle issues without a passenger, but says they should have the finished product soon.

Corbin pad

Quote Originally Posted by djohncline View Post
    Has anyone installed one of these. $300 seems steep considering the Mustang was only $550.
    Attachment 5715Attachment 5716seat1.jpg
    Just a few pics and post from August of last year.

Just rolled in from Corbin, Hollister. New pad is a must, stock one did not cut it for the wife. Looks bigger in the flesh then on the website. When they brought out the pad it was square looking with a rounded top, did not flow too well with the bike. I had them raise the top to a peak, making the pad look longer, and not as stubby. Raising the pad made the OEM bracket flex, so they reinforced with a few welds. There was not much fabric to choose from, none of their fabric matched the OEM grain, so I just went with black leather. All in all, The wife is happy, I'm happy. Looks good.

Ultimate is the way to go…my powder coater went out of business!!! Someone put a leather like sleeve over the unit and it looked Great!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

My wife thought the same thing but after a few miles I havent heard a complaint.