Dunlop Elite 4 or Avon Cobras

Thread: Dunlop Elite 4 or Avon Cobras

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    I just replaced my oem stones with 15k+, with the new Dunlop E4.
    They are hiped to wear very well.

For me, the jury is out.
    I can't say they handle any better or worse than the oem stones, aside from my perception they are better in the rain.
    Oh, did I mention they are considerably noisier than the stones.

J
    I'm inclined to give them a try. However, trying the Cobras on the F6B also has me thinking. How does your front end feel. I read one review, not many reviews available yet, where the reviewer complained of some front end wobble he attributed to the new Elite 4.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I'm inclined to give them a try. However, trying the Cobras on the F6B also has me thinking. How does your front end feel. I read one review, not many reviews available yet, where the reviewer complained of some front end wobble he attributed to the new Elite 4.
    Jimmie,
    The review could have been mine. I definately have a pronounced front end wobble 35 to 40 mph. The oem stones had a very slight wobble, same speed.
    I of course, have checked neck bearing, pinch bolt and brace bolt, torque
    The tire and rim were mounted and installed by someone I trust, so.
    I'm going to throw some dynabeads in the front to see what that does for the wobble.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Jimmie,
    The review could have been mine. I definately have a pronounced front end wobble 35 to 40 mph. The oem stones had a very slight wobble, same speed.
    I'm going to throw some dynabeads in the front to see what that does for the wobble.

Jim
    This was a review I read on Wing Stuff's site. He described a more pronounced wobble than that. I have had the 35 to 40 wobble with the Stones. I had it with the first set new, oddly the wobble was completely gone with the second set of stones and came back with the current third set. Go figure. I am thinking about painting my bike this winter, and if that carries out, I think I'll try changing out the steering head bearings to tapered bearings. The wobble I experience is very subtle though. Really only notice it at thhe 35-40 mph band with both hands removed from the handlebars.

Jimmie,

Jim
    So I was told one of the reasons Dunlop redesigned the Elite, was because of road noise. You're saying they're louder than the stones? The stones don't bother me too much, they really only make noise in corners, can't hear it if the stereo is on.

Yes, they are louder than oem stones.
    I noticed from the start, then even a F6B group rider told me he thought my rear tire was louder while he was along side..

I too usually have my tunes high enough to not notice.
    The E4 is definately noisier than the stones.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

OEM tires.

I got 17,500 miles out of the original stones, still have around 2k left on the rear. Bought a set of elite 4, getting them installed Saturday. Hope they give me high mileage?

Noisey tires

More noise usually means that they are gripping the roads better than the OEM tires although I never had any trouble with the stones sticking to the road, my new elite 4 is on the way and will probably be on the bike by the 25th or 26th this month. I have the stock stone on the front yet. But will change that out when it wears out. Like I said before I love running curves and the 7000 mile tire replacement on the rear I am hoping the Dunlop will give me a little more mileage.

I have noticed a small amount of increased tire noise when riding with the E-4's, but until someone brought it up on the board, I had not paid any attention to it at all.....Ride safe