Checked oil at 5,000 miles - impressed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Checked oil at 5,000 miles - impressed

Canola oil won't clog the passages either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I've found that 3-n-1 oil works well. Takes a lot of those little cans though.
    I know I sound like a broken record, but if you REALLY want the best, then there is no substitute:

Pure whale oil (preferrably sperm whale) is the ONLY option.

Rotella

Since I bought my bike with 7500 miles on it and I don't know the oil change history I changed it when I got home from picking it up. That was at about 10500 miles. I was not at all happy with the clunky shifts but within 200 miles of changing to Rotella full synthetic it is a different sounding machine. It will get changed once a year from now on.

I change somewhere between 4k--5k and would never go the 8k. Why? Because this is not just engine oil but transmission oil also. Rotella full synthetic and either the purolator 14612 or the ST 6607 filter. I have about 22k on my bike and a 7 year warranty. Instead of mileage only I also go by the way I feel the transmission shifting. Most only change oil once or twice a year. Don't be so cheap as to not spend the extra $6-$10 per change for synthetic once or twice a year and then put on a $400 windsheild or $900 exhuast. Synthetic improves the shifting longer before the clunking starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    I change somewhere between 4k--5k and would never go the 8k. Why? Because this is not just engine oil but transmission oil also. Rotella full synthetic and either the purolator 14612 or the ST 6607 filter. I have about 22k on my bike and a 7 year warranty. Instead of mileage only I also go by the way I feel the transmission shifting. Most only change oil once or twice a year. Don't be so cheap as to not spend the extra $6-$10 per change for synthetic once or twice a year and then put on a $400 windsheild or $900 exhuast. Synthetic improves the shifting longer before the clunking starts.
    +1 on your post...I agree with you and have a similar pattern...."Too each his own as they say".....Ride safe

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Just a 3 year old thread about Rotella …. many of us have been using it for a long time and our engines continue to operate flawlessly

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2...hlight=rotella

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Just a 3 year old thread about Rotella …. many of us have been using it for a long time and our engines continue to operate flawlessly

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2...hlight=rotella
    Just changed mine today for the first time, used Rotella. I have 4,200 miles. The bike had 2,300 miles when I bought it, and the oil still looked great, but I didn't know what was in it and wanted to change it at 4,000 anyway. I used The Rotella in my ST1300 and never had an issue.