New motors and chassis from HD for 2017 - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: New motors and chassis from HD for 2017

I don't wave...out grew that years ago.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Many years ago I would most generally wave to other riders if I noticed they were doing the same...Now there are so many bikes on the roads, around here anyway, that I pretty much have given it up..I rarely get a wave from the HD rider, as if I give a "shit," and on occasion will reciprocate a wave from a GW rider... Getting to old to really care what other riders do as I enjoy my rides when I can get away.....Regards and ride safe...

I get waves from Harley riders and everyone. You all must have some unfriendly people where you are at.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I always wave and would rather be snubbed myself than snub someone else. Every now and then a pack of ten or twenty loudish cruisers will snub me and I keep the wave high over my head waving back in forth in all my high viz glory. I get a laugh out of it and always joke that I must be too preppy looking.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Thanks for the update.

I have always wondered what the profit margin is on H-Ds. They get $20-30K for an air-cooled twin with some features, but otherwise a pretty basic bike. Not to mention, the aftermarket add-ons and clothing that has a high markup on it. Then, there is the service and maintenance.
    VStarRider,

HD dealers have a 25% margin over their cost on the actual motorcycle which is high in my opinion.

I researched and found this out when I was interested in buying a 2016 Ultra Limited in vivid black. The MSRP on this bike is $26,399 plus freight and setup that can add another $1K and the actual dealer invoice cost from HD is $21,119 plus a freight charge of around $650.

I have been told that the clothing line and accessories pays for the cost to run the business and the overhead so the margin on the bike sales is almost all profit less the sales commission. There is probably more money hid away in dealer incentives and holdbacks that even the store's sales manager never sees.

If you have been to a HD dealer you will have noticed that most of the newer locations are very expensive structures with at least a third dedicated to their accessories lines. These dealerships are like going to a high priced retailer like Neiman Marcus. Someone has to pay for all of that glitz and overhead. Pretty expensive place to shop for a pirate...arrgh!

Ride safe

X

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I don't wave...out grew that years ago.....
    You NEVER outgrow manners!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

The ol' start-to-wave-but-quickly-adjust-visor-instead move. Seen that a few times as well. Like someone else here mentioned, we are all Brothers Of The Wind, I wave to all, even the scooter and dual sport guys.

wow

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Harley is finally attempting to wake up to the 21st century and is introducing a new 107/114" motor for 2017...Also many changes to the suspension and forks are coming next year according to an article in CycleWorld and the internet...Better watch out for good deals on used HD's soon, if you care, as the market will be flooded with out-dated HD's as the "good ole boys" will be looking to update their "HOG" for the newer, supposedly faster motor...Who knows what evil lies in the heart of men!!!!!....Ride safe
    Wow- just wow.... I think along with the bigger engine should be a bigger name/acronym that h-d is so famous for. Hmmmm.... perhaps the "all new" FLUFFPUFFHUFFlimitedpatriotallamericanwolfheadwate rheadhideglidespecial CVOomgscreamineaglehead. Then they should offer a "performance upgrade" kit.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ whew! [I'm bored at work today] BTW, I still have very close friends that ride Harleys,we have a lot of good natured fun back & forth. Ride safe everyone!