New motors and chassis from HD for 2017 - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New motors and chassis from HD for 2017

I feel Harley failed again. Just my opinion. Let's see how they sell.

So they're going to make a larger engine and NOT liquid cool it, yeah this will work. I dumped the 13' RG because it was a blow torch. Not everyone lives in the Midwest with open prairie to keep that bike at 60 mph + so the heat can escape, the reality is most bikers will hit traffic on a daily basis in some form or another. That's when Harleys turn a great ride into a miserable one, it takes the joy right out of the whole experience. I traded my RG in for the F6B and couldn't be happier. My 2013 Sportster has 147 miles on it and I have no plans of riding it, just waiting for someone dumb enough, like me, to purchase an air cooled bike living in an urban area just to dress up like a pirate.

Aargh! Shiver me timbers...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

I have say I like the smile.
    I owned a 2007 street glide that I rode many a mile across country.
    The trips were good and bad, lie has been said all bikes are like women
    all have something that we love about them.
    But we know how much smooth and reliable is worth at the end of the day.Attachment 22924

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

That's what they think they look like and this is what it actually looks like to everyone else

The Persona

Harley has always sold a Persona/Image first and motorcycles second. What other motorcycle manufacturer do you know of that markets underwear with their name on it Unlike their cycles, their "marketing ploy" is top rate/first class. The image is unmistakable! Elevated heeled boots, chained wallet folder, doo rag, vest with 1400 patches and a can of beer in their hand

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    You guys are killin me !!! I look at bikes like I do women. At least in my younger days I rode as many as I could, skinny, fat, short or tall, every bike did something the other did not and all of them were great! You guys need to open your minds ....Just sayin......
    BINGO!!!! We have a winner. All bikes are different. I have friends that ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to sit on my Harleys. Personally, I think that is the same Harley attitude in reverse---but hey--that's just me. I currently have an 06 Street Bob to go along with the B. It all depends on the mood I am in when I walk into the garage.

When it comes to bikes, I like a Harley much better than most of the people that ride em. Just sayin.............
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2017 new bike speculation

I just recently sold my 2009 Harley Road King Classic that was a great bike but I had owned it for a year and was ready to go back to another F6B and was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2016 Honda Goldwing F6BD in silver matte. Actually talked with an area dealer yesterday about starting the process of ordering one as he said that he now had some extra incentives from Honda and made me a really great price OTD.

We discussed why Honda may be adding extra incentives and whether they have a new 2017 Goldwing and F6B set to release with some major changes and he said that would be his guess. At the least he thinks that the F6B will get ABS brakes and even possibly a reverse gear. This sure clouds my decision to buy a new 2016 as I really would like both ABS and a reverse gear.

Other speculation is that he said that the F6B and the Valkyrie have been a real sales disappointment to Honda and they may even be discontinuing the models for 2017 and offering a full Goldwing that has a fully removable touring pack/rear passenger barcalounger and thus allowing someone to create a F6B or Valkyrie when the mood or riding requirements strikes them.

The possible 2017 Goldwing changes from Honda seem to shadow the just announced changes from Harley and make it a tough time for a new bike purchase decision. Last night I see the Harley announcement on their new 2017 engine and after doing some reading/research I have gotta say that this may just be one heck of an engine as it appears to be a modernized EVO engine with the single cam but with four valves per cylinder and an advanced head liquid cooling system. My local dealer will have some of the new Street Glide Specials, Road Glide Specials and Ultras on his floor this Saturday. He said that since this announcement the resale value on any twin cam bike is dropping like a rock at the auctions. Which means that if the new engine truly is the real deal there will be a ton of Harley riders wanting to have the latest and greatest and the value will truly drop on all of the Harley touring bikes out there.

Interesting times to be shopping for a new cruiser/touring big bike.

Ride safe

Xharley

Went through my Harley phase and never looked back. When I was a youngster, I remember the likes of twin engine shovel drag bikes like "Sledgehammer" carpet bombing Lion's Dragstrip and the chill down my spine from the sound. Or lying in bed some late summer night night and hearing the blast of a built vtwin winding out in the distance. At 13 years old, I knew I would own one some day and no other brand would slake that thirst.
    35 bikes later, I would own 3 different Harleys during my 'phase'. My favorite was my 67 FLHP shovel that I immediately dropped off at Micah Mcloskey in Canoga Park and had the engine and tranny built by one of the guys that built the Easy rider streamliner. It had a110 hp 96" S&S Sidewinder and the all Andrews gears tranny had a jockey shift with a rocker foot clutch. Paughco 1-1 strait fishtails allowed the blue flames somewhere to exit. It was a hoot doing 60 mile an hour rollons on the 405 against unsuspecting ricers. Brakes were wet dogturd stockers. Next one was an 05 FLSTSCI Springer Classic. Gorgeous bike, but didn't fit my needs. Traded that in on 08 FLHT LectraGlide standard. Spent way too much money trying to make that thing into the hotrod it would never be.
    To be perfectly honest, I thought the Brembo ABS brakes were some of the best I've ever experienced. And it was also an all day comfort bike with the rubber mounted motor. But alas, I moved to the wide open spaces of the wild west and traded it in on two Brute Force 750 quads. HA! Best move I couldve made. Don't miss the Harley forced obsolescence on model years and their premium prices on their dogshit aftermarket offerings and oem parts. I still chuckle to myself when I see some guy twisting the guts out of his Thundersnort whatever racing header equipped 30k Screaming Chicken special up the on ramp at a blistering sounds-like-100-looks like 50 mph speed run. Nooooope! I'll take my industrial teutonic flat 6 Black Velvet, and someone else can deal with that schizzo bandaid plastered company's offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    I have owned more bikes than I can count. In 1988 think I had 12. Mostly crotch rockets and sport touring. Most current 4 cylinder 600 cc Japanese sport bikes are faster than the f6b and can double it's corner speed so I do not see why anyone would claim it to be fast. The f6b is a very smooth big Ole bike, handles really well for what it is and it's low tech engine will provide thousands of care free miles smooth and safely. Since I currently care to own one bike it seems to be a rather good compromise to get out and ride while often taking the wife in a comfortable ridr
    Is this really true? When a magazine tested a 2013 F6B, they reported a 3.3 second 0-60 mph time and a 11.-- 1/4 mile time...which is on par with a CBR900.

As for Harleys, I have never ridden one but wouldn't time trying one out. I like innovation, high-tech and efficient when it comes to motor vehicles...seems as though Harley is kinda hampered by their customer base by not wanting to get too far away from the "Harley" experience...which is based in 60s and 70s tech. Frankly, I want less vibration, less noise, and more comfort and will steer clear of any manufacturer that seems to be avoiding those things.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6