Ape hangers - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ape hangers

Both, but I believe the wrist angle was the biggest issue I had with the stock bars. Didn't even really realize that was the big issue until having the Helibars and being able to change the grip angle. Would get a really painful neck and shoulder pain with the OEM bars after just an hour riding. Tried risers, didn't work for me. It was either the Helibars or face possibly selling g the bike shortly after buying it. Absolutely none of the described pain after the Helibars and I have been 15-16 hours in the saddle.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Oh

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    A good friend of mine put a pair of Paul Yaffe bars on his RG Ultra. These were not even that radical and when I saw them on the bike I said there's no way that can be comfortable. He assured me they were as comfortable as "When you drive a car." Sure enough, we took a ride, with him leading, and there he was dropping his arms and shaking them out. I know he would never admit to me, after spending all that $ since the bars had to be sent to Yaffe to snake the cables through, that he made a mistake.
    Ive had them on HD and they are comfortable Ive seen the helis but dont like the bar going across the center, just was wondering if anyone knew the guy that did it... who did it and maybe how much was the cost, of cours they look good as well, i have a garage in Illinois that does custom metric bikes and they said they were going to look into it for me, No info on pic from google search of who bike that was

Quote Originally Posted by firetat2 View Post
    I Ive seen the helis but dont like the bar going across the center,
    I have the helis. I wasn't real crazy about that bar being right there "in your face". But, when you want to mount something like a GPS or a TPMS dislplay, suddenly it is in just the right place. So, it's a trade off. In fact, the bar looks better with something mounted on it.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I have the helis. I wasn't real crazy about that bar being right there "in your face". But, when you want to mount something like a GPS or a TPMS dislplay, suddenly it is in just the right place. So, it's a trade off. In fact, the bar looks better with something mounted on it.
    Not just that,but it also adds a whole lot to the rigidity of the front end feel. I have a cup holder on mine.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by firetat2 View Post
    Ive had them on HD and they are comfortable Ive seen the helis but dont like the bar going across the center, just was wondering if anyone knew the guy that did it... who did it and maybe how much was the cost, of cours they look good as well, i have a garage in Illinois that does custom metric bikes and they said they were going to look into it for me, No info on pic from google search of who bike that was
    I don't doubt that they may be comfortable for a while, short rides, but anything of distance, and we just rode a small part of the Hawks Nest and he was shaking out on 12" bars, has got to start getting uncomfortable. It just goes against anatomy, our arms are not made to be above our shoulders for any extended length of time. Even driving in a car at the 10 -2 o'clock position only lasts so long, you eventually have to drop your arm/s and drive with them down low. There is no doubt they look great, I'm just more of a function over form guy.

I don't doubt that they may be comfortable for a while, short rides, but anything of distance, and we just rode a small part of the Hawks Nest and he was shaking out on 12" bars, has got to start getting uncomfortable. It just goes against anatomy, our arms are not made to be above our shoulders for any extended length of time. Even driving in a car at the 10 -2 o'clock position only lasts so long, you eventually have to drop your arm/s and drive with them down low. There is no doubt they look great, I'm just more of a function over form guy.
    +1 Gravity definitely plays on the blood! Numbness set in rather quickly and that isn't fun/comfortable Regarding Hawk's Nest, weather permitting, I visit/ride there twice per week. There's a great little Deli in Barrysville where I usually stop for a good sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    +1 Gravity definitely plays on the blood! Numbness set in rather quickly and that isn't fun/comfortable Regarding Hawk's Nest, weather permitting, I visit/ride there twice per week. There's a great little Deli in Barrysville where I usually stop for a good sandwich
    If it's the Carriage House I've been there, good eats.

If it's the Carriage House I've been there, good eats.
    Half a block from the Carriage House on the same side of 97.

WP_20151215_16_03_06_Pro.jpg

Another advantage of the Heli Bars is some fork stability is gained by the connecting bar. The deciding factor is the price. I purchased mine during a Christmas sale and got a great price cut.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    Attachment 23023

Another advantage of the Heli Bars is some fork stability is gained by the connecting bar. The deciding factor is the price. I purchased mine during a Christmas sale and got a great price cut.
    I love the Helibars. I tried tilting them forward and angling them for a semi "mini ape" handlebar look combined with a straight "racer bar" look...i liked it alot, until you turn the handlebars, it hits the windshield before you had the handlebars turn all the way left or right....so it would not be safe if you had to take a sharp turn or make a uturn...so after some adjustments i have the handlebars set. Its more comfortable than before, just not the look i was hoping for...comfort wins.😊 BTW is that a sticker of stripes over your speaker covers? If so, doesnt it muffle you sound?