Sena 10 headset problems - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sena 10 headset problems

I also have been using the 10 for awhile. There should be a little clip on piece of plastic that goes on one side of the mic. The side that faces the wind. Then the foam sock goes over the mic. I still get some wind noise but people can hear me while on the phone. When I wear my full face all is good though.

Here are a couple of photos confirming what others have said. The first photo shows the standard setup "disassembled". Showing the microphone with the small fin (faces outwards, away from mouth), the plastic clip (that is the official way to do what you have done with your piece of tape) and the windsock. The second photo shows the plastic wind clip installed.
    Having said all that, I have this set up and my wife and I have 2 (identical) full face helmets and we also have the issue you describe. From the front seat, I don't have much wind noise at all, people I talk to on the phone tell me that there is no (or negligible) wind noise. When I try to talk to my wife, I get a lot of wind noise in my headset as soon as I switch intercom. I have tired both the boom and non-boom miss (since we have full face helmets), and both setups had the same issue. The noise is worse at higher speeds.
    I have never found a solution, so would love to hear from you if you ever find a fix.

Attachment 23070
    Attachment 23071

Just asking but have you updated the units?

Quote Originally Posted by StonedInNy View Post
    Just asking but have you updated the units?
    Reason I ask they might have fixed that issue in a update.

Updates

Quote Originally Posted by StonedInNy View Post
    Reason I ask they might have fixed that issue in a update.
    I have updated the firmware today and have yet to test it. I will post my results.

Plastic clip

Quote Originally Posted by tmac99 View Post
    Here are a couple of photos confirming what others have said. The first photo shows the standard setup "disassembled". Showing the microphone with the small fin (faces outwards, away from mouth), the plastic clip (that is the official way to do what you have done with your piece of tape) and the windsock. The second photo shows the plastic wind clip installed.
    Having said all that, I have this set up and my wife and I have 2 (identical) full face helmets and we also have the issue you describe. From the front seat, I don't have much wind noise at all, people I talk to on the phone tell me that there is no (or negligible) wind noise. When I try to talk to my wife, I get a lot of wind noise in my headset as soon as I switch intercom. I have tired both the boom and non-boom miss (since we have full face helmets), and both setups had the same issue. The noise is worse at higher speeds.
    I have never found a solution, so would love to hear from you if you ever find a fix.

Attachment 23070
    Attachment 23071
    Mine do not have the plastic clip on the mics

Update

Update on Sena 10 issues. My wife and I are just getting back from a week long 1,100 mile trip on our F6B, using our Bell Mag 9 helmets with the built in Sena 10 . After seeing the photo's tmac99 posted showing that plastic clip over the micro phone, I got the box out that the pair of Sena's came in and in the bag that the allen wrench was in, was the clip shown in the photo. I attached the clip and then proceeded to do the firmware updates provided on the Sena web site.

The results were an improvement in that there was less wind noise, but..... Using them 7 days straight has taught us a few things as far as the wind problem. 1: The Mag 9 has a retractable clear shield, when its down and my wife has the mic bent upward, firmly placed behind the shield, there is almost no wind noise at all. 2: On days where it was very hot and she couldn't stand having the shield down, we would have to manually turn the intercom on and discuss what was needed and then shut them off, because there was an annoying amount of wind noise still there with the shield up. 3: The VOX option is worthless in the Mag 9 configuration due to the wind turning the intercom on intermittently and not shutting off.

I will continue to tweak and try to improve the operations of the Sena 10, but I would not recommend these to anyone, unless riding with a passenger with a full face helmet. As expensive as a helmet/intercom pairing as this marriage of Sena with Bell is, I would have expected something really well designed and functional. It's not the case in our experience and warn other to look else where. I now wish I'd had just bought the wired Honda intercom.......

(I know this is somewhat unrelated) I rode home the other night and with my shield up I got a phone call with my new Sena 20S I did not have time to put the shield back down. Even with the shield up total open air on the highway 80 mph and no wind sock over the microphone my friend said I sounded clear as if I was sitting in the living room. I never made any calls when I had the SMH10 so I can't compare. I just thought I would add my experience with the new Sena 20S.
    Steve