Russell Day Long - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Russell Day Long

Does he get it!

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    My ass hurts just reading that.
    The iron butt award, the man has got to be in the running for that trophy! Like you said that would definitely put a hurt on my backside! I wouldn't be able to walk for a week and I have a Russell Day-Long seat.

Russell questions

Thanks to the good threads on this subject and taxfree4 I preciate the video. I've decided on a Russell saddle. Now that I have a spare stock seat - thanks to 53driver, and a loan from my banker, I'm close to ordering.

Current thoughts are for a black leather insert, half moon pattern, with backrest. And heat! No modifications to the passengers area.

Canvas ? I'm on the stock seat now and always ride on an old sheepskin when it's dry. I hope to retire my sheepskin once I get a new saddle. All day on vinyl won't work for me and I have never had a leather saddle. The only other option that Russell offers that is breathable, is a Sunbrella breathable canvas. What say you about a canvas insert? Comfort? Rain shedding?

Rain: So, Russell advertises all their seats as "less than 100% waterproof" and offers a rain cover. I ride to work often, ride cross Country, out of the Country... The seat will see rain and at times and lots of it - all without a cover. Am I asking for trouble? Or is Russell over conservative about describing possible water problems?

Backrest: Interesting to me that the majority of you who have posted pictures on this subject do not have a back rest. BIGLRY seems to win the prize for having spent more cash with Russell over the years than the rest of us combined and if he has a backrest I haven't seen it. I have the Standard model and I can't say I miss having one on short runs. Long trips my pack is my backrest but really it does a poor job on long days. I noticed that Big Jay removed his. Is this easily done with the Russell? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance -
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

I remove the back rest when the wife rides with me, she becomes my back rest . Removal and install is very easy takes about 5 seconds, it's mounted to a flat bar that slides into the seat . I had never had a back rest before and I am realy glad I got it, keeps you in place when you smoke some one off the stop light.

back rest

Big Jay, I appreciate the reply. Just what I was looking for on the backrest question.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

BT45R 130/70-18

I've got the half moon vinyl with the backrest flipped, wider side down, for more support on the lower back. I had a Russell rain cover that was thrown in on a previous purchase. I think they would rather you get the rain cover to protect it from water getting in through the stitching which is why I went with the half moon as it has, IMHO, the least amount of it. I have about 4000 miles on this seat and I will tell you, and I've owned after market seats before, Russell is in a class by itself. This is the first seat that I become tired, just because I can't keep my eyes open, before I become fatigued by discomfort by constantly shifting to get comfortable. Before, I couldn't wait for a gas stop to walk and stretch and now I wish I had a bigger tank so I wouldn't have to stop. Day long is not just a slogan it is mind boggling how this works.

I've got the half moon vinyl with the backrest flipped, wider side down, for more support on the lower back. I had a Russell rain cover that was thrown in on a previous purchase. I think they would rather you get the rain cover to protect it from water getting in through the stitching which is why I went with the half moon as it has, IMHO, the least amount of it. I have about 4000 miles on this seat and I will tell you, and I've owned after market seats before, Russell is in a class by itself. This is the first seat that I become tired, just because I can't keep my eyes open, before I become fatigued by discomfort by constantly shifting to get comfortable. Before, I couldn't wait for a gas stop to walk and stretch and now I wish I had a bigger tank so I wouldn't have to stop. Day long is not just a slogan it is mind boggling how this works.
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Tax free is so right on his statement. i just sent my order into them. My Christmass present to myself. This will be my 3rd seat from them, 2nd in the past 2yrs. The comfort from this seat is unreal. Im going with full leather,half moon,back rest,rain cover,and heat. They sent me a quote for 1300 a few weeks back and told me their prices are increasing after the new year.

Russell

All good info - also good to know that the prices are going up soon. I have what I need now - thanks all.

BT45R 130/70-18

Upcoming RDL

Leaving tomorrow for a ride in on Tuesday to get a dual made. Will post a review and pics when I return in about 10 days. Have to do a little visiting along the way.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Your showing your age there Taxfree

That trip has got underachiever because of health written all over it. I couldn't do that on my best day in my best year if you told me Lynda Carter was waiting for me at the other end, I'd go cripple trying though.
    Now it Taylor Swift or Christine Aguilera, I think the old wonder woman is getting pretty crusty like the rest of us old dudes.