Russell Day Long - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Russell Day Long

Got my seat

Attachment 25053Attachment 25054Attachment 25055
    2100 miles later and I couldn't be happier. Chris and Jay did fabulous work (Larry, Jay sends his regards). I've had several other seats on other bikes, but none compare to the fit and comfort of this seat. I feel like I'm part of the bike now. It sets me about 1 3/4 inches higher and an inch back. the narrowed nose of the seat makes flat footing at stops easier than the stock seat did in spite of the greater height. I had planned on all leather, but after talking to Jay I went with the Sunbrella inserts. He said it was more comfortable in both hot and cold weather and his seat with 65k miles on it still looks new. This seat is everything said about it plus some. I did a 218 mile ride today without a single stop, not even for traffic lights. longest day so far has been a little over 700 miles. Now I can't wait for April and an Iron butt 50CC ride. My wife has only rode about a 100 miles on it, but says it is vastly better than the stock seat. Every F6B sold should come with a certificate for one of these seats.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Man that seats is sweet. Looks comfortable as heck. And just out of curiosity what size madstad are you using? I have two more things I need to sort on mine . New seat and windshield. I've tryed like 5 including madstad but I think I'm going to have to reorder another madstad.

Quote Originally Posted by NMRed View Post
    Attachment 25053Attachment 25054Attachment 25055
    2100 miles later and I couldn't be happier. Chris and Jay did fabulous work (Larry, Jay sends his regards). I've had several other seats on other bikes, but none compare to the fit and comfort of this seat. I feel like I'm part of the bike now. It sets me about 1 3/4 inches higher and an inch back. the narrowed nose of the seat makes flat footing at stops easier than the stock seat did in spite of the greater height. I had planned on all leather, but after talking to Jay I went with the Sunbrella inserts. He said it was more comfortable in both hot and cold weather and his seat with 65k miles on it still looks new. This seat is everything said about it plus some. I did a 218 mile ride today without a single stop, not even for traffic lights. longest day so far has been a little over 700 miles. Now I can't wait for April and an Iron butt 50CC ride. My wife has only rode about a 100 miles on it, but says it is vastly better than the stock seat. Every F6B sold should come with a certificate for one of these seats.
    Thanks!
    Jay has done the last 3 of my RDL saddles(I've had 7 built over the last 39 yrs) and knows how I like them. The one thing I can say for sure... the RDL saddle only gets better over time.

Them gray inserts sure look sharp and you are going to love the Sunbrella in how well it wears. I used to have my RDLs all made out of leather, but have switched to the synthetic since it has shown to outlast the leather with less maintenance issues and is way more comfortable IMO.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

rdeady

I have the 15 inch madstad. I'm 6 ft even and looked over the top by a couple inches on the stock seat. I'm a little taller on the RDL and the screen works better than ever. The perfect combo IMHO.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

RDL and another happy customer!

Just my humble opinion but I haven't heard one bad word from people that have had a custom one off seat built off their stock seat pan by Russell Day Long custom seats, spend the money on one and you will never regret your purchase, I keep hearing guys going thru 3 or 4 seats trying to find a comfortable one. Why? Buy the right one first and save yourself the trial and error effect. RDL is the one you wanted all along. I am one of their happy and very satisfied customers along with all that have purchased them.002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Just my humble opinion but I haven't heard one bad word from people that have had a custom one off seat built off their stock seat pan by Russell Day Long custom seats, spend the money on one and you will never regret your purchase, I keep hearing guys going thru 3 or 4 seats trying to find a comfortable one. Why? Buy the right one first and save yourself the trial and error effect. RDL is the one you wanted all along. I am one of their happy and very satisfied customers along with all that have purchased them.Attachment 25056
    Your seat looks like a 2-piece? Is that an option if you send them a stock seat? Can the pillion be removed?

I also have a question for taxfree or anyone else that can answer it: The drivers backrest, doesn't it get in the way of swinging your leg over the bike? If it folds forward for getting on the bike isn't it then hard to scoot forward enough to give it room to flip it back up when you're straddling the seat? Do they sell the backrest themselves or is that someone else's backrest that you had them cover? Also taxfree, is your entire seat vinyl? Thanks! I think this may be my next seat.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    Your seat looks like a 2-piece? Is that an option if you send them a stock seat? Can the pillion be removed?

I also have a question for taxfree or anyone else that can answer it: The drivers backrest, doesn't it get in the way of swinging your leg over the bike? If it folds forward for getting on the bike isn't it then hard to scoot forward enough to give it room to flip it back up when you're straddling the seat? Do they sell the backrest themselves or is that someone else's backrest that you had them cover? Also taxfree, is your entire seat vinyl? Thanks! I think this may be my next seat.
    Not at all, the backrest stays straight up unless you push it down If you look at the video it's just sitting there when I'm off the bike. They sell the backrest themselves and the entire seat is vinyl, I have the cover for rainy days. I flipped the backrest over so the wider end is on my lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post

No its not a two piece but since I do not ever have a rider, I only had them do the drivers seat and the back passengers seat is just covered to match. It's all one piece off the original seat pan.