Converted my F6B to the Darkside
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Converted my F6B to the Darkside

Converted my F6B to the Darkside

Not a whole lot of clearance under the right saddlebag... but it's enough:

Now to get on with getting the tire off and down to the tire guy... we gots a car tire to mount up !!!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Got the tires ready to go to the shop

Here she awaits the new rear shoe:

Hardest part of all this (so far) was trying to get the center stand deployed after the bike was resting on the right side engine/saddlebag guard(s), I had to use my Sear jack to help me lift the side stand a little, so I could pull out the center stand; in order to get the tire off of the ground.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

New tire now on wheel

Had to grind down the nipple that holds the plastic retainer for the OEM stem; since I am using Fobo T-valve stems for the Steel Mate TPMS system:

Now to reverse everything that I done earlier... to get the bike back up on it's shoes.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Got 'r dun!

Baby gots a new rear shoe!

While on the side stand I am assuming that this is the normal appearance of a dark side tire mounted on the F6B, at 34psi?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Good Job.. I just did mine a few weeks back, the hardest thing to do was get my mind around laying it down. Now we know better.

Quote Originally Posted by zzh54 View Post
    Good Job.. I just did mine a few weeks back, the hardest thing to do was get my mind around laying it down. Now we know better.
    how does it ride? do you feel any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Got the tires ready to go to the shop

Here she awaits the new rear shoe:

Hardest part of all this (so far) was trying to get the center stand deployed after the bike was resting on the right side engine/saddlebag guard(s), I had to use my Sear jack to help me lift the side stand a little, so I could pull out the center stand; in order to get the tire off of the ground.
    Will explain to me how you got the centerstand down.
    I have not been able to get that part to work. Have had to use the the standard method of removal.
    shortleg

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing_67 View Post
    how does it ride? do you feel any difference?
    I just took it to the VFW (about 10 miles of some twisty roads). It feels a little different but not bad. A little more effort is required to execute a very sharp turn but it's not like OMG this is different.

I think I am going to like it. I have 34psi in it at the moment... no signs of abrasion off of the tread and on the sidewalls.

I read in another thread on this forum when I was self educating myself about this alternative, is to take a digital temp (I have one of those H.F. temp guns) and scan the tread across to see if there are hotspots which would indicate not an optimum tire pressure (especially if under inflated).

So I will be doing that tomorrow, to help me find the "sweet spot" although 34psi seems to be working for me at the moment.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Will explain to me how you got the centerstand down.
    I have not been able to get that part to work. Have had to use the the standard method of removal.
    shortleg
    Ya.. that part was difficult. Once the bike is laid over, there are four main points of contact; the front right engine guard, the right rear saddle bag guard, and the front and rear wheel.

In order to extend the center stand, one has to basically "coax" that center stand to deploy while the seemingly full weight of the bike is resting on it.... You are basically lifting both wheels off of the ground during that little maneuver.

So I found the best way was to use my Sear's motorcycle jack and lift up the extended side stand with it (but you need to make sure the jack does not move away from the bike - even positioning the jack perpendicular to the bike will make it try to slide away) while you are lifting it up. But it works, the jack will lift the side stand and then you can simultaneously start grabbing the center stand and deploy it to the extended position; thus raising the rear tire (and front tire) from the ground.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

SierraKen

Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Ya.. that part was difficult. Once the bike is laid over, there are four main points of contact; the front right engine guard, the right rear saddle bag guard, and the front and rear wheel.

In order to extend the center stand, one has to basically "coax" that center stand to deploy while the seemingly full weight of the bike is resting on it.... You are basically lifting both wheels off of the ground during that little maneuver.

So I found the best way was to use my Sear's motorcycle jack and lift up the extended side stand with it (but you need to make sure the jack does not move away from the bike - even positioning the jack perpendicular to the bike will make it try to slide away) while you are lifting it up. But it works, the jack will lift the side stand and then you can simultaneously start grabbing the center stand and deploy it to the extended position; thus raising the rear tire (and front tire) from the ground.
    Yesterday was my day to go Darkside. Layed the bike over and mounted a Bridgestone Driveguard. Not as strong as in my younger days (66 yo), I too used my Sears jack in place of my center stand to lift the rear tire of ground so I could remove the wheel and drop the new wheel onto the studs. Was actually pretty simple.

Between last nights ride and today's, I have approximately 125 miles over all sorts of roads and am enjoying the new tire. Rides smoother, handles well in all sorts of curves. I too noticed it takes alittle more effort to initiate a curve but after just a few miles I got use to it. I don't notice it now.

Currently running the Driveguard at 32 psi. Seems fine but will adjust as necessary.