Converted my F6B to the Darkside - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Converted my F6B to the Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    A little more effort is required to execute a very sharp turn but it's not like OMG this is different.
    Yup. It's not that it CAN'T do it, but you just need to ask a little nicer.
    I've only got 8k on my stock tires and my WIFE said something about "damn you need to do something about that rear tire!". I like to run it til they fall off but I've got some Orange TPMS to install and might as well go double dark sooner than later. CT and BAttleax on ST1300 is good for 20k or more depending on riding style, some folks run the rear CT up to 30k.
    Shop that changed my ST1300 tires went out of business, I may have to play the "trike conversion" card elsewhere.

Good job, Will.
    I darksided mine the day before. I've not yet got to ride her since I put the new shoe on, but hopefully tomorrow, it will dry out enough around here where I can take her for a spin.
    I'm fortunate enough to have a 1500 lb. table lift and full-blown tire machine in my shop so obviously my technique is of a more "classical" approach...LOL.
    The sideways method is good to know when out on the road far away from the shop. At 65 years of age, I hope I don't ever have to do it that way, but ya never know.
    Ride safe, my friend.

I thought I explained that in my thread on removing the rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Ya.. that part was difficult. Once the bike is laid over, there are four main points of contact; the front right engine guard, the right rear saddle bag guard, and the front and rear wheel.

In order to extend the center stand, one has to basically "coax" that center stand to deploy while the seemingly full weight of the bike is resting on it.... You are basically lifting both wheels off of the ground during that little maneuver.

So I found the best way was to use my Sear's motorcycle jack and lift up the extended side stand with it (but you need to make sure the jack does not move away from the bike - even positioning the jack perpendicular to the bike will make it try to slide away) while you are lifting it up. But it works, the jack will lift the side stand and then you can simultaneously start grabbing the center stand and deploy it to the extended position; thus raising the rear tire (and front tire) from the ground.
    You turn your backside to the bike, you can even layback on the bike a little, with the kick stand swung out grab it and the center stand and using your legs lean back and pull up and swing the center stand out. It wasn't that hard and there is no big red S on my T-shirt either.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    You turn your backside to the bike, you can even layback on the bike a little, with the kick stand swung out grab it and the center stand and using your legs lean back and pull up and swing the center stand out. It wasn't that hard and there is no big red S on my T-shirt either.
    Hmmm... I must've missed that memo At any rate... it is done

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Hey Will what is the name brand tire you used? Try 32# then start up if necessary....steve
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Hey Will what is the name brand tire you used? Try 32# then start up if necessary....steve
    Steve, it is a Michelin Primacy Alpine ZP 195/55 R 16 Run Flat.

I weigh roughly 240 and ride mostly solo. Was thinking that 34psi was a good start. But why do you say start at 32psi? What am I looking for, to start increasing the pressure in one pound increments? Wash out of the rear during a turn? Or something else?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Took long enough. Since what? May???

Now you just need to take a ride to like Ocean City and back.

Cool

Will, although your weight is a variable I don't think it is a major variable. I had the same tire and pulled a trailer, ( tongue weight ) ( me, 225 ) I say 32* because I had the Alpine wear in the middle and not on the outside, showing me it was over inflated. Remember the CT is designed to hold up a car and we are using about 1/4 of its ability! Read load limits and then figure you have maybe 500# on the rear tire.

Lower to 32# and try to forget there is a CT on your bike and just go ride. I truly believe with the Alpine if you did not look and no one told you...you would not know! Right now you are feeling every pebble in the road...it will go away and you will stop thinking about it! GREAT tire choice !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Will, although your weight is a variable I don't think it is a major variable. I had the same tire and pulled a trailer, ( tongue weight ) ( me, 225 ) I say 32* because I had the Alpine wear in the middle and not on the outside, showing me it was over inflated. Remember the CT is designed to hold up a car and we are using about 1/4 of its ability! Read load limits and then figure you have maybe 500# on the rear tire.

Lower to 32# and try to forget there is a CT on your bike and just go ride. I truly believe with the Alpine if you did not look and no one told you...you would not know! Right now you are feeling every pebble in the road...it will go away and you will stop thinking about it! GREAT tire choice !!!!!
    You know Steve, I have noticed that I am not scraping my pegs as much as I was, since I have mounted this Michellin car tire. Maybe that is a indicator of too much pressure @ 34psi? I will drop it to 32psi per yor suggestion and see how that goes.

Thanks!

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Cool

My pleasure !!! Again, Great tire choice....