YOUR LONGEST ONE DAY RIDE - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YOUR LONGEST ONE DAY RIDE

I want to wish both Philbert and Bobby a good ride on doing your planned rides. Remember...plan your ride, and ride your plan.

I did my IB 1,000 in 2007 on my VTX 18000R. 1,078 miles in 18hrs 58min
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IamBatmanF6B
    A small number here, 628 miles two up. I wanted to iron butt 1200 miles back but we had hotel reservations ahead of time and that 2nd 640 mile stint back heading home sure was enough for me to pull in and relax in a hotel room!

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert40 View Post
    If it works out right...9/21/13. Am leaving tomorrow to go to Canada for the Start of my IBA Border to Border Ride. Total millage is mapped out to be 1459 miles.

Wish me luck!

Best of luck to you, Phil, and enjoy. Be safe.

~700 miles to Winslow, Az and back. Stood n the corner and back to Vegas.
    "Ride Shiny Side Up"

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    I did my IB 1,000 in 2007 on my VTX 18000R. 1,078 miles in 18hrs 58min
    That's an average speed of like 57 mph. I hope I can do it faster since its all 75 mph interstate we're doing it on. I'm a truck driver so long trips are no biggie but it's not the same on a bike.

Berlin in Germany to Geneva Switzerland back in the days... 1218 km, I think that is about 755 Miles, but through different countries. On a GW1500. Remember using some of the "No Speed Limit" parts of the German motorway, being passed by guys driving Porshes... You do stay in your line and look closely at your rear mirror when you want to pass someone yourself. The fun part was riding out of Berlin in the morning, passing lines of Trabant cars, barely making 90km/h and fuming out their two strokes oil mixes. By the way, do you know what to do if you want to sell your second hand Trabant twice the price ?
    Fill up the tank !

I did 1032 miles on my SS1000 ride in June 2012... I rode my '05 Wing at the time.

I live right off I-64 in Virginia and rode east to I-95 in Richmond then south on I-95 into North Carolina where I picked up I-40W just southeast of Raleigh. I rode I-40 clear across North Carolina, through Asheville and the Smokies and then took I-81 North toward Virginia. I picked up I-77 N, took it up near Beckley, WV, where I picked up I-64East. It joins I-81 and took that home.

18 hours. Didn't enjoy the experience. Not too alert near the end. IMO, it's dangerous to ride that long. That won't sit well with you LD riders. But it's my opinion only.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    That's an average speed of like 57 mph. I hope I can do it faster since its all 75 mph interstate we're doing it on. I'm a truck driver so long trips are no biggie but it's not the same on a bike.
    You will be surprised of how fast you would have to go to average a higher mph. When you add in your stop times, the average goes down. The last 1/4 of your ride your stop times are longer. Being consistent is the key.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    You will be surprised of how fast you would have to go to average a higher mph. When you add in your stop times, the average goes down. The last 1/4 of your ride your stop times are longer. Being consistent is the key.
    I must concur with my fellow Washingtonian. I was going to post to this earlier today, and comment that for whatever speed you are actually RIDING down the road...you can deduct up to 15 mph for your total average speed for the entire trip.

If you are riding at 75 mph, and your average RIDING...or ROLLING speed is about 72.5 mph...given there are places where you have to slow down, and places where you can speed up...then in the end, with all your stops figured in...your overall average speed for the entire trip will be about 60 mph.

Now, if you are a wack-job like me, on this recent trip out to NC, then to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and home, my GPS says that my average ROLLING speed was slightly over 75 mph, and my average overall speed...including ALL stops...was a total of 71.65 mph. The difference is that my stops are very short.

Kevin is 100 % correct...consistency is the key !