YOUR LONGEST ONE DAY RIDE - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: YOUR LONGEST ONE DAY RIDE

I guess I qualify as a short to mid distance rider by the standards here

On "longer" trips, I typically run between 400 - 600 miles per day. My longest was just over 850 miles on a trip from the Dallas/Ft Worth area to Big Bend National Park with a bunch of friends. We took several detours, including the Davis Loop (great ride). I did that on my 2000 Roadstar, with highway pegs and a Mustang Saddle.

I was actually pretty happy with the Mustang. It sat me slightly more forward than the stock seat, which took some getting used to, but it was very comfortable over the distance (I did several cross country trips on it).

Following that day's ride, I went hiking for several miles with no soreness or fatigue, so I guess that's as good a testament to the seat as any.

I haven't decided if I'll replace the stock seat on the F6B or not, and if so I haven't decided which I would go with.

FWIW, Mustang will have an F6B seat by the end of October.

Rocky Mountain High

June 1973 Minneapolis to Denver terrible cross wind and awful line of thunderstorms on a BMW R75/5 short wheelbase, unfaired with short European bars. 988 miles in just under 15 hours.

I was so exhausted you could have dug a hole, kicked me and the bike in and covered me up and I wouldn't have cared. I spent the next two days helping a friend sand the floors in his old house. I got back on the bike early Sunday, rode back and was at work Monday morning.

We pay for the follies of our youth. The damage to our bodies is cumulative over the years. Knowing your limitations is as important as finely honed riding skills. Exhaustion is insidious and creeps up on you. Now I know when to take breaks, stay hydrated, keep cool and get off the bike when tired. My maximum distance these days, under ideal conditions, is around 500 miles per day. Sunday recreational rides can run into the 200 mile range.

Quote Originally Posted by gray rider View Post
    June 1973 Minneapolis to Denver terrible cross wind and awful line of thunderstorms on a BMW R75/5 short wheelbase, unfaired with short European bars. 988 miles in just under 15 hours.

THAT...was a great ride on a slash 5. My hat is off to you.

Bobbyf6b, are you doing this IB by yourself? One of the things to recognize while riding. The dotted center line on the highway will cause a "daze" affect. I did my SS 1,000 with 3 other guys and we would trade places so not fall into that leader position "daze affect". It happens and be aware that it is affecting you.
    KJ
    SOLD 2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    EZRIDE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    Bobbyf6b, are you doing this IB by yourself? One of the things to recognize while riding. The dotted center line on the highway will cause a "daze" affect. I did my SS 1,000 with 3 other guys and we would trade places so not fall into that leader position "daze affect". It happens and be aware that it is affecting you.
    I might be alone or meet someone there. Who knows. I've been a professional truck driver for over 20 years so the lines don't bother me. I'm only worried about being saddle sore.

I've run almost 1000 miles without stopping in a big truck. Can't do that on my bike.

LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I've run almost 1000 miles without stopping in a big truck. Can't do that on my bike.
    How many Gatoraid bottles did ya fill up? LOL!

What?

Quote Originally Posted by kjelders View Post
    In 800,000 plus miles and probably 50 1000 plus miles days I have never experienced or heard of this, but I always ride alone so maybe I just zone out!

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    How many Gatoraid bottles did ya fill up? LOL!
    Maybe one.