3,500K X Country adventure - L.A. to Deeeeetroit. Majestic vista Hwy suggestions?

Thread: 3,500K X Country adventure - L.A. to Deeeeetroit. Majestic vista Hwy suggestions?

3,500K X Country adventure - L.A. to Deeeeetroit. Majestic vista Hwy suggestions?

Hey ALL:

About to take a 2nd summer long adventure on the B. Taking off Fri Sept 2nd. Any insight, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the itinerary:

DAY 1: Leaving Hollywood about 5 p.m. ish, to La Quinta (Palm Springs area), spend the night here, and attack the desert first thing in the a.m. A year or 2 ago, left L.A. early a.m. but still caught 115 temps in Blythe to Phoenix. Dry heaves, massive headaches, dizziness (heat stroke). Messed up my body clock for about 2 days.

DAY 2: Leaving Palm Springs, arriving PHX to p/u petite curvaceous blonde flight attendant. Then we're heading to Sedona via Cottonwood.

DAY 3: Heading to Moab, Hwys 89, 163 (Monument Valley) 191

DAY 4: Heading to Telluride; Hwys 191, 491, 160, 550. This is the longer ride to Telluride but million dollar hwy is quite majestic.

DAY 5: Heading to Aspen; Hwys 550, 50 285, 24, 82.

DAY 6: Heading to Vail / Eagle airport to drop off blondie, then to Vail for our company's 4 day retreat.

DAY 7: Heading to Hot Springs, SD. Interstate 70, 25, Hwy 18.

DAY 8: Heading to Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, Hwys, 34, 14 and probably call it a day @ Pierre, SD or ???????

DAY 9: Heading to the east side of Minneapolis. Not sure if HWY 14 or 212 is scenic, or whatever passes for scenic for those 400 ish miles. ?????

DAY 10: Heading up to Copper Harbor, MI. Probably take HWYS 63/ 77/ 28/26/ 41

DAY 11: Heading to Petoskey. Hwys 41, 94, 2.

DAY 12: Heading to Traverse City (have breakfast) continue to Big Rapids. See friends from College, etc.

DAY 13: Heading to Deeeeeetroit. Spend some time with the parents, and damnit, the Tigers are playing on the road. Ship the bike to Dallas. Employer wants me to move there for 8 months. Fly back to L.A. pack up the Jeep, and head to Dallas.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

Day 9

What a great trip! I think Day 9 across SD is you best option. I've ridden it many times. Better than I90 and roads are in good shape. Let me know when you're going through the area. If my schedule permits, I'll buy you lunch or dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by carpdm View Post
    What a great trip! I think Day 9 across SD is you best option. I've ridden it many times. Better than I90 and roads are in good shape. Let me know when you're going through the area. If my schedule permits, I'll buy you lunch or dinner.
    Hey Thx. I'll PM ya my cell # a few days prior to arriving that area. I'll buy the beer and we'll sip some finely aged tequila.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous1 View Post
    Hey ALL:

About to take a 2nd summer long adventure on the B. Taking off Fri Sept 2nd. Any insight, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Fall is just about here.