after market saddle, I'm so confused!

Thread: after market saddle, I'm so confused!

after market saddle, I'm so confused!

I purchased a black/red 2013 F6B August 6 and still trying to figure everything out.
    A week after purchase I replaced the stock exhaust with Cobra 6 packs and love the sound. Added Kuryakyn Ergo II hi-way pegs to make my daily commute (mostly home) more comfortable and now looking at a drivers back rest.
    One of the bikes I looked at had a drivers backrest (not sure who's) and the dealer hated it so it was in a back room somewhere. The "cut" in the seat looked like the previous owner used a dull knife to create a zig-zag pattern across the top. This dealer had no desire to talk with me so needless to say, I drove 50 miles and saved a boat load of $$$ on an almost identical bike.
    Just before buying the F6B I bought a Shadow Phantom and with in 2 weeks had a Mustang saddle with drivers back rest to make riding more comfortable. It took a couple months before I decided the Phantom wasn't the bike for me and upgraded to the F6B.
    Now that I've had the F6B for a while I'm thinking about adding a drivers back rest. (From our 1997 GL1500, I really liked having a drivers backrest.)
    Looking at the "classified" section of the forum, there seems to be a lot of after market saddles for sale. Is it that owners just can't get comfortable on the F6B or is everyone returning to a stock seat before they trade off for a newer model.
    Before I drop between $300 (used) or $700 (new) on a new saddle I'd like to get some thoughts.
    Jeff

At least on this forum, everyone is NOT returning to the stock seat. Some may be selling their aftermarket seats due to the bike being sold (and they can get more separately for the aftermarket seat) or they just we're not satisfied with thie aftermarket choice.

My advice to you, is to take a several hundred mile trip and see if you are comfortable on the stock seat. If you are not and have tried less financially invasive solutions the thereafter i.e. Sheepskin, Beadrider, Air Hawk, etc... then start asking about the different aftermarket seats and back rests.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    At least on this forum, everyone is NOT returning to the stock seat. Some may be selling their aftermarket seats due to the bike being sold (and they can get more separately for the aftermarket seat) or they just we're not satisfied with thie aftermarket choice.
    ...and they are moving on to a different after-market choice.
    People are trying Mustang or Corbin, and then biting to bullet and getting an Ultimate, or custom RDL or Hartco.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

If you are coming to the Rally, you will be able to see ~70+ bikes and their saddles.
    Most of the peeps here will let you sit on them.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

My next seat will be a Russell Day Long seat custom made to my height, weight, leg and arm length and butt size. Right now I ride on a stock seat with no back rest, but a back rest would be nice.

Custom comfort comes with a price and is time consuming. Russell Saddles is based in California and require an OEM seat pan be sent to his shop. He produces a dual seat or a single seat. He requires a photo of the customer setting on the bike. I purchased a used F6B seat and sent it to the factory so I could continue to ride while waiting. My wife and I are totally satisfied with our Day Long Saddle.

seat.jpg

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Seat seat SEAT? this is a tough choice, esp... for the vertically challenged. I have owned Russell Day Longs, Mustangs, Corbins and a few custom jobs. But I am not sure which way to go on the F6B either. The OEM is way to wide for my lil ol arse; I can almost get flat footed if I force things.
    A narrower seat would help. Mustangs I read lower us about 1" - this would help; but our choices of material are usually just black or brown vinyl. Russell Day Longs are the most comfortable to me for long touring but if your having trouble getting your feet down it would make things worse. Corbins' tend to be a bit harder foam layup but they give you lots of material choices and color. I am trying to figure out what a GL classic is? someone mentioned it on this forum but an internet search failed to find one.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

I wanted a lower seat so I went with the Mustang seat and added a show chrome backrest. The back rest requires a little modification to work but not that difficult to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have tried a few seats including Ultimate, Corbin, Mustang, and ended up with a Hartco. No way would I ever go back to stock except to sell the bike or trade it in. My stock seat is in a box up in the garage.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike