Does it bother anybody else?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does it bother anybody else?

Does it bother anybody else?

I was told today that the resale value on 2014 was only $10,700 And I read in another post on this forum that Honda is likely to halt production of the F6B starting in 2017 Why doesn't anybody else seem to like our bikes? I know it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are happy with it, but when they stop making a particular bike, don't suppliers and other folks stop making accessories and such for those bikes? Is the F6B a misfit?

Motorcycles are not an investment and are not to be considered part of your financial portfolio.

We had a recent discussion about that.

Spare parts will be around for the F6B for a very long time. Much is interchangeble with the GL1800

Do not lament about what rumors you here about the contnuince of the F6B even if they're factual. This bike is going to last many times of us for a very long time... If one chooses so.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Mid July I paid $12,900 for a used 2014 with 7060 miles. My insurance Co paid out $11,600 + accessories on my my totaled 2013 with 35,000 miles. That was market rate here in MN. Kelly and NADI both listed a 2013 delouxe around $14,480 for retail. Trade in value at $10,500. Even if Honda discontinues the F6B, the cross over from the full GL1800 I beleave the after market venders will be around for a while. I bought my 1998 Valk in 2000 as a new hold over. As we know the last production year was 2002 and there are still venders out there supporting them almost 15 years after production stopped. Ya it sucks that they haven't kept there value. The 13$14 will be the least sought as the 15s came with CC. The F6B IS a nitch market as was the early Valks. As the saying gos "I got mine".

Quote Originally Posted by er.medic View Post
    I was told today that the resale value on 2014 was only $10,700 And I read in another post on this forum that Honda is likely to halt production of the F6B starting in 2017 Why doesn't anybody else seem to like our bikes? I know it doesn't matter what other people think as long as you are happy with it, but when they stop making a particular bike, don't suppliers and other folks stop making accessories and such for those bikes? Is the F6B a misfit?
    The problem with F6B is that Goldwing guys like Goldwings, not F6B, due to extras. Heated seats, grips, reverse, cruise and more luggage space with passenger accomodations are all factors. Cruise guys like cruisers, which F6B is not. Sport touring bikes are lighter and have removable luggage.

So, F6B is not really in any one category in my opinion. It does many things well but this makes it a niche product.

However I think that as prices of used ones drop they will slow down over time. There will be people who appreciate this kind of a bike but could not afford the new price. I think many people will think this is a great value 4-5 years old for around ten grand, especially when new Goldwing is $25-30,000+.

It is similar with cars. Most cars loose their value around 50% in only 3-4 years! Just check out resale trade in value on any BMW that's 3-4 years old.

With the new 107 ci and 117 ci engines for 2017, predictions are that twin cam engined HD's prices will drop fast, too. Did you notice that HD is already laying off people?

I bought 1 year old Victory Cross Country last year with 1000 miles on it (not a missprint) for $10,500, when new ones are around $20,000. BTW, it's an awesome bike.

Also in 2001 I bought the then new 2000 BMW K1200LT Custom for $12,000, new was $22,000, with 3,000 miles on it. I sold it 8-9 years later with over 80,000 miles on it for $8,000. Still ran perfect and looked like new.

So, no need to worry about resale value now. If you sell it fairly new then you would expect to loose a lot in the process, relatively speaking. It also matters how good of a deal you get on a next bike you get. Keep it for several years, use it as much as you can, then get a great deal on a next bike and everything will be fine. Sell it too early with as little miles on it and you will feel bad about it. That's the case with pretty much everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Rune.........let them stop producing the B.........I have one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

I can also add that Honda has missed the boat strategicaly wise with several of it's bikes lately, F6B included, which does affect the desirability and therefore resale value. In case of F6B, I think Honda should have offered the bike in 2013 with cruise control and reverse as standard equipment, at least in the US market. Cruise control came in 2 years later but it was the case of too little too late. I believe people would have bought F6B in larger numbers with these features even at the higher prices as F6B would still be cheaper than full on Goldwing. And the higher spec model should have had heated grips and heated seats for extra dough. Also the turn signals should have been left alone, meaning self cancelling for all models. Centerstand should have been standard, too.

On the accessory front Honda missed a great opportunity here. They should have offered a removable trunk option, maybe even 2 different sizes, a smaller one for a solo rider and bigger one for passenger. These should have been designed specifically for F6B and looked different than GW trunk, which in my opinion does not match the back of the bike at all. Offering these should have helped bridge the gap between F6B and GW so more GW guys would have possibly switched to GW. This would have possibly gotten some sport touring guys switch over as well, especially the ones that ride two up and want more room but are not quite ready for full on Wing.

I think that Honda itself didn't have a clear vision of F6B, it looks to me that they thought of F6B as watered down GW instead of a totally different platform. That's why Honda simply deleted certain features from GW for F6B and gave it a light restyling. I understand that saves money in manufacturing process, but what's the use if it does not translate in many sales? Poor choice for new product strategy and sales are reflecting that.

I also don't understand Honda's other motorcycles either, who are they for? I don't see their new product strategy working for new Valkyrie or many CTX bikes either. Their cruiser sales must be slow too. I think Honda's corporate thinking is way off. I am therefore very scared of what the new Goldwing might look like as well with this line of thinking. I like their quality but the excitement is going away rapidly.

On the other hand I really like new Indian development direction and I'm keeping an eye on Victory, too. Check out new Indian fairing bikes with 7" touch screen gps, bluetooth entertainment center. Where is Honda's technology? I had a GW with built in gps and it was awful, upgrades are sorely needed.

On the other hand, I still may pick up a lightly used new Valkyrie model when the price gets down to around six grand, which looks like it would be only in another year or two. I still don't care for it's looks but it must be a hoot to ride and reliable to boot. By then hopefully someone will come up with a nice looking fairing and bags for it (Corbin's are way too pricey!). I can just leave it in my mountain house and use it for curves!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

I agree with most of Cool Hand Luke's narrative. Personally I think the F6B style is ahead of it's time and may grow a bigger following with lower used prices, then begin to appreciate in value when production stops. So, I think we're all in a good position with what is indisputably The Best Bike Ever.

As much as the Valkyrie is butt ugly IMO I'd jump at the chance to have a brand new $6000.00 GL1800 in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    I think Honda's corporate thinking is way off. I am therefore very scared of what the new Goldwing might look like as well with this line of thinking. I like their quality but the excitement is going away rapidly.
    They're still recovering from the move back to Japan. They maybe still be living out of boxes.

An "insider", so he says, told me a while back, the F6B was introduced to unload hundreds of already built 1800 motors that Honda has/had on hand as they already have a different motor designed for future Goldwings...This also was applied to the Valkyrie which "bombed" out badly...I certainly love my F6B and intend to keep it for a while but after riding the new Indian Chieftain Dark Horse and the Victory Magnum, I might be tempted to go back to a V-twin...I have heard a lot of good reports on the new HD motor and suspension improvements so "who knows"....Honda has been "dropping the ball" lately for some reason in my opinion....Ride safe

Honda was targeting a different age group with the "B".... worked for me! I liked my 02 full Wing but felt like my dad riding it and all the "slightly" younger people asking me why i'm on an old mans bike. The Wing (and the B) are awesome bikes to cover some serious ground and see some sites.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike