Bike wash question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike wash question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bike wash question

On the ride home from work I passed by a house that had a man with a hose and bucket and bike in the driveway. Sounds like a lot of us right? But he had a gas powered leaf blower in his hand, and way drying his bike off with hurricane force winds.

Just wondering if anyone else does this?

Cleaning

Not me. I just use water and a micro-fiber cloth, to wash a small area, then dry that area with another micro-fiber cloth. Then move to another area on the bike. Never used a hose or any type of pressure sprayer, or any type of blower for drying. I have the Matte/finish paint, so I also never use any type of polish or wax. Everyone has their own way to clean their bike, just saying how I do it.

When I wash my bike, which isnt often (have yet to wash my '15 6), I use my air compressor to blow the water away, then use a micro-fiber towel to dry.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

The leaf blower will sandblast the paint! I have a special air dryer just for that job and it works great on the bike and the autos,... no spots and no water hiding!
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Not a gas powered blower but I use my electric Toro leaf blower to dry my bike off all the time. No damage to the bike at all.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    Not a gas powered blower but I use my electric Toro leaf blower to dry my bike off all the time. No damage to the bike at all.
    +1 In addition it's great for occasionally blowing out the radiators

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    The leaf blower will sandblast the paint! I have a special air dryer just for that job and it works great on the bike and the autos,... no spots and no water hiding!
    A leaf blower is only blowing air. There is no media being injected like a true sand blaster. A leaf blower is perfectly fine as compared to your specialized blower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Sometimes

I live on a dirt road so there are times when wet that the bike gets to much dirt on it to just wipe off with water or a cleaner.

I will gently hose down the bike while using a soft cloth to gently dislodge any debris that might scratch the paint. After it's rinsed and dried I use a microfiber cloth and a "between waxes" type cleaner to buff the finish and remove any water spots.

Aside from the occasional needed washing, I usually just use the between waxes, cleaner.

Water and a microfiber towel is great on the matte silver bike

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Not me. I just use water and a micro-fiber cloth, to wash a small area, then dry that area with another micro-fiber cloth. Then move to another area on the bike. Never used a hose or any type of pressure sprayer, or any type of blower for drying. I have the Matte/finish paint, so I also never use any type of polish or wax. Everyone has their own way to clean their bike, just saying how I do it.
    I discovered that by accident one day a big bug blasted my bagger shield and I had forgotten my can of cleaner wax and polish. What I had on the bike was a couple bottles of water and a micro fiber towel. I wetted the towel on one end and the bug even though it was dried on wiped right off. I was amazed and since that day its been a wet microfiber towel followed by a dry one and the bike comes out great and it doesn't cost me 7 bucks a can for cleaner wax and polish anymore. Who would have guessed that would work so well. I never did use any water hose or leaf blower or soap on my bikes. It was always Bike Spirit cleaner wax and polish. But the matte silver bike is a different animal for sure, not the glistening paint job of my old bike. So this was a wonderful discover for that flat paint.

I always use a microfiber cloth to dry. That is a major reason I love the B. It can be wiped down in a minute or two because of the lack of chrome and the large areas of plastic and fiberglass.

I did try the leaf blower for a while, but it takes 3 times longer and not as good as the cloth.

At times I use a quick spray of detailer---sometimes Pledge Furniture cleaner and polish.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]