What type of Mount to mount a Samsung Note 5 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What type of Mount to mount a Samsung Note 5

I have a dedicated GPS for my motorcycle, but I use a RAM X-mount in my van. My son recently purchased a knock-off X-mount for his scooter. It is actually better than the real thing. It grips much tighter, so you could probably get away with not using that rubber band thing. Plus, it has a USB charger built in.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attachment 23268
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by nvmyf6 View Post
    I have this set-up

Attachment 23254

I modified the grip arms on one side slightly, so I was able to slide in my Note 4, with the defender otterbox case.
    In the picture, you can see one side of the arms are taller. Gave me the wider grip I needed.

Attachment 23255

And for the ear phone plug extender, I went to Radio Shack. I also bought 2 , 90 degree adapter, to get the extension down the back side of the phone.
    Something else I remember when I bought the X-grip.
    I bought the short extension. Looks like there are 3 sizes.

Attachment 23269

On some of the rough roads I ride on, the phone does shake severely, so I grab it to keep it secured in the grip arms.

Once I'm back on smooth roads, I make sure the rubber tips are pushed all the way on. They can start to slide off.

Gluing them on is a good idea. Also I make sure my phone is pushed all the way back, against that back part. I just squeeze the arms slightly to loosen the grip, push back on the phone, release the arms.

Ya just have to maintain your equipment. Sometimes, while yer riding.

I have a friend who's phone did fly out of his X-grip.

We were on the back roads, dirt and grassy area, when it flew out. It took a while to find it, and when it was finally found, the screen was cracked, corner edge was damaged. The good news was, it still worked.

His phone was not in any kind of a decent case. It would have survived better if it was in the Defender Case.

The rubber tips on the x-grip do grip the rubber otterbox pretty well.

Something else I remember when I bought the X-grip.
    I bought the short extension. Looks like there are 3 sizes.

Attachment 23269

On some of the rough roads I ride on, the phone does shake severely, so I grab it to keep it secured in the grip arms.

Once I'm back on smooth roads, I make sure the rubber tips are pushed all the way on.
    The I-Bolt doesn't let my phone slio at all. It has been through some severely rough roads at frightening paces and not one issue.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by scoplin View Post
    After trying the X-mount, I didn't think it was secure enough and then tried the finger grip mount from ram RAM-HOL-UN4U and have been very pleased with it. Another issue I had with the X-mount, using it with the samsung phones is that the phone would slide down in the mount and the holders on the X-mount would either turn the volume down on the phone or turn it off. Since the finger mount has a finger on the bottom, it doesn't allow the phone to slide down and you can adjust the side fingers so they don't touch the buttons on the side of the phone. As seen in the picture I have added a SSD (safety securing device) aka rubber band even though it is very secure without it.

Scoplin,
    Nice picture. This is exactly what I replaced my spring loaded RAM with. No issues with this mount at all !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The I-Bolt doesn't let my phone slio at all. It has been through some severely rough roads at frightening paces and not one issue.

Yes, that mount looks awesome for sure Jimmy.

Looks like it works best in the landscape position. Will it work in the portrait position okay as well? If one wanted to mount it to the handlebar.

I need a mount that will fit a Samsung Note 5 with a Defender Otter box on it. The phone with the case measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2".

Yes, that mount looks awesome for sure Jimmy.

Looks like it works best in the landscape position. Will it work in the portrait position okay as well? If one wanted to mount it to the handlebar.
    Yes, that's just how I prefer it. It gruos the phone very tight. That is my Note 4 in an Otterbox Defender case.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I need a mount that will fit a Samsung Note 5 with a Defender Otter box on it. The phone with the case measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2".
    Mine is a Note 4 in an Otterbox Defender case

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Yep, no problem, the Note 4 and Note 5 appear to be the same size in the otter box defender case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Mine is a Note 4 in an Otterbox Defender case
    What would I need to mount the I BOLT to the left side handlebar where the 2 bolts hold the clutch handle on?