Do you need to add air every week or so? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you need to add air every week or so?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    I use the FOBO T-Valves with Garmin TPMS caps.

I find that I lose almost exactly 1.0psi per week. I have ALSO found that (at least in terms of the Garmin system...and therefore I presume the others as well, as the systems are pretty much the same throughout the industry) the pressure readout can vary a bit from hour to hour and day to day...indicating that the system doesn't always read EXACTLY the same each and every time. The variance can be as much as 0.6-0.7psi.

When I first installed the system, I chased the pressure a bit...but found, if I had a low reading, that quite often if I let the bike sit and waited a few hours it would read closer to the expected values. This may be due to changes in ambient air temp or perhaps changes in ambient air pressure.

Either way, I eventually DO need to trot out the compressor every 7-10 days to bring it back up to running pressures. This has annoyed me as well, as all of my past bikes (eleven in total..ranging from Yamaha's to Triumphs to Matchless to Katanas ) all have held pressures for several months or more.

Speaking of alarms. The Garmin system doesn't ping your phone, but can be set to any threshold you choose and will alarm on your GPS unit.

....sT
    Me too. What I cannot understand is what does Honda do that makes this unique to their bikes. Never had the problem on my Victorys or Harleys.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

On my original tires, even after a cold winter, I didn't lose more than 1lb. I just changed both and installed new 90deg stems, so we'll see.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    On my original tires, even after a cold winter, I didn't lose more than 1lb. I just changed both and installed new 90deg stems, so we'll see.
    Wayne I think you got it right!

Too many people worry too much and ride too little.

It's like watching my bathroom scale, sure there's fluctuation, but then I sit down in there and the problem just seems to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post

It's like watching my bathroom scale, sure there's fluctuation, but then I sit down in there and the problem just seems to go away.
    In my past, "worrying too much" kept me alive.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post

That, good sir, is funny - and too true!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

We do seem to be an obsessive bunch (Motorcycle riders in general) because I check my Motorcycle tires PSI before every ride but check my car and trucks MAYBE once every couple months... Nothing I have has TPMS. It's just me and my gauge.

I will say I would NOT be comfortable with a PSI loss every week. My guess is valve core. I have seen very small leaks that are only detected by sliding a piece of 6in length or so clear tube with soapy water over the valve stem. Then sit and have a coffee (or beverage of choice) and watch for bubbles.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

That is better than my waiting for my early warning system to tell me my tire looks low with the cars. (my wife)
    I just don't feel as vulnerable in a car.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    We do seem to be an obsessive bunch (Motorcycle riders in general) because I check my Motorcycle tires PSI before every ride but check my car and trucks MAYBE once every couple months... Nothing I have has TPMS. It's just me and my gauge.

I will say I would NOT be comfortable with a PSI loss every week. My guess is valve core. I have seen very small leaks that are only detected by sliding a piece of 6in length or so clear tube with soapy water over the valve stem. Then sit and have a coffee (or beverage of choice) and watch for bubbles.
    True, but a blowout on 4 wheels is more recoverable than a blowout on two.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    True, but a blowout on 4 wheels is more recoverable than a blowout on two.
    ....and that is PRECISELY the reason I couldn't get the Honda 90-degree stems off of my wheels fast enough. Even if I'd never bothered with TPMS, those Honda stems had to go and go quickly.

Being mounted in rubber the way that they are....sure they're fine to begin with, but get some age on them and let that rubber start aging and degenerating. Couple that with the forces created by slinging them in a circle at the rotational speeds caused by 60+mph.....talk about disaster on the hoof!

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---