Audio enhancement perma-grin style - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio enhancement perma-grin style

Speaker fitment

Pressorv, can you talk about the speaker fitment, what was involved? Also im i correct in assuming the track and volume controls on the handlebars are defeated?

So you had to deal with separates and crossovers? I would rather stick with a two way just for the simplicity of the swap. Man, you can really dump a lot of coin in one of these bikes between audio, exhaust, windshield, seat, and accessories! Reminds me of my car.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Ready to rock

Please continue this thread. The JBL upgrade was great. But thinking of taking the B to a custom audio shop to get more ideas. I like the feature of a stock stereo controls on the bars, so an amp that could tap into the oem system, then run new gauge wire to speakers , and a removable sub is what id like. Please more info. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Please continue this thread. The JBL upgrade was great.... I like the feature of a stock stereo controls on the bars, so an amp that could tap into the oem system, then run new gauge wire to speakers , and a removable sub is what id like. Please more info. Thanks.
    Well, that's exactly what you get!

The beauty of this solution is you keep your handlebar controls. In fact, you continue using the stock system like you always have, except it kicks ass depending on where you mount the remote, you have a sleeper radio system. No one looking at my bike parked would know.

You don't have to modify the speakers to fit, you only need a riser plate so the rare earth magnet the size of the whole stock speakers (slight exaggeration , but not far off) will not bottom out. The stock grill cover fits on with minimal trimming.

It is easy, and you have no external crossover to deal with - it is all handled by the amp. You simply run 4 wires to left, 4 to right. 14 guage - two for mid bass, two for tweeter. The tweeters epoxy to the stock tweeter position. I have sone final fit and finish to work out, but that's the gist of it.

Btw, I nearly won a loud stereo competition at pickleheads.. Goat deejay from full throttle Sturgis voted my rig was the clearest / no distortion with the best bass against many custom bikes.
    Attachment 23388

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    Well, that's exactly what you get!

The beauty of this solution is you keep your handlebar controls. In fact, you continue using the stock system like you always have, except it kicks ass depending on where you mount the remote, you have a sleeper radio system. No one looking at my bike parked would know.

You don't have to modify the speakers to fit, you only need a riser plate so the rare earth magnet the size of the whole stock speakers (slight exaggeration , but not far off) will not bottom out. The stock grill cover fits on with minimal trimming.

It is easy, and you have no external crossover to deal with - it is all handled by the amp. You simply run 4 wires to left, 4 to right. 14 guage - two for mid bass, two for tweeter. The tweeters epoxy to the stock tweeter position. I have sone final fit and finish to work out, but that's the gist of it.

Btw, I nearly won a loud stereo competition at pickleheads.. Goat deejay from full throttle Sturgis voted my rig was the clearest / no distortion with the best bass against many custom bikes.
    Attachment 23388
    Will leaving this morning for the Rally. Probably roll in tomorrow. Taking a meandering route. Look forward to checking your system out.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

After listening to JimmyTee's and Pressorv's bikes at the rally, I will state that you both have done a lot of work and created awesome sound systems. It prompted me to start researching more realistic options for my sound as I have neither the time nor the inclination to attempt your levels. I have already replaced the stock speakers twice, first with J&M and now with the JBL set everyone discussed, but would like a little more without breaking the bank or losing a saddlebag.

I ran across this article during my initial search and wonder what anyone's thoughts are.

http://www.wssdriveeasy.com/gold-win...udio-upgrades/

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    So you had to deal with separates and crossovers? I would rather stick with a two way just for the simplicity of the swap. Man, you can really dump a lot of coin in one of these bikes between audio, exhaust, windshield, seat, and accessories! Reminds me of my car.
    It is quite simple: swap mid bass and tweeters, run a 4 conductor 14 gauge speaker cable to the amp. Pitch the included xovers.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    After listening to JimmyTee's and Pressorv's bikes at the rally, I will state that you both have done a lot of work and created awesome sound systems. It prompted me to start researching more realistic options for my sound as I have neither the time nor the inclination to attempt your levels. I have already replaced the stock speakers twice, first with J&M and now with the JBL set everyone discussed, but would like a little more without breaking the bank or losing a saddlebag.

I ran across this article during my initial search and wonder what anyone's thoughts are.

http://www.wssdriveeasy.com/gold-win...udio-upgrades/
    This is the same article I found and was going to buy the arc amp. The pro audio place said it was a great amp, (specs looked good} and they go for about 300 if you shop around. My tech knew this installer and called him to discuss, they both said that was top of the line five years ago. The bass enhancement is similar to the head unit's build in boost (the off, low, high setting on your tune knob.)

The speakers with an amp is, imho, the best option for a best cost/performance ratio. I mentioned this setup in my original post above, although to be fair the speakers listed are a step down and is not a large cost savings.

The speakers don't require any fitting/ cuts, but you will need a half inch spacer to fit the magnet. I'm sure you would be happy with the setup.

Another option is to get the Audison prima 4.9 amp and save a few hundred on the amp. I would suggest not removing the stock amp and use the high level inputs instead, otherwise you need to get the controller as well. I'm working with the manufacturer to see if they can provide a firmware update to remove this requirement.

I can help you set up the amp / share the config. I'm also investigating manufacturing the riser needed to seat the speaker.

Finally, to be fair, if you get the prima 8.9, you don't need the second amp or the subwoofer. You can even fit the amp under the seat and not lose any saddlebag space!

{wrote on my cell phone in a hurry, forgive my spelling and grammatical errors..)

I'm sold on those Hertz speakers. Any ideas for a "budget" 2 channel amp? No plans on running a sub. Need to keep stock controls.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    This is the same article I found and was going to buy the arc amp. The pro audio place said it was a great amp, (specs looked good} and they go for about 300 if you shop around. My tech knew this installer and called him to discuss, they both said that was top of the line five years ago. The bass enhancement is similar to the head unit's build in boost (the off, low, high setting on your tune knob.)

The speakers with an amp is, imho, the best option for a best cost/performance ratio. I mentioned this setup in my original post above, although to be fair the speakers listed are a step down and is not a large cost savings.

The speakers don't require any fitting/ cuts, but you will need a half inch spacer to fit the magnet. I'm sure you would be happy with the setup.
    While I see the merits of the Audison Prima, I don't think I will go that far up the food chain. I may move forward with the Arc if that is the best candidate in that price range. Speaker wise, I believe you are indicating the HSK 130 is the route to take. This is all french to me and I absolutely appreciate you sharing you knowledge.