Fly and Buy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly and Buy?

Fly and Buy?

Who has flown to buy a motorcycle. I kinda want to do a f6b this way so that I can get into the fun real quick.

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina
    I did, although not to buy the B. I flew from Columbia SC to Indianapolis IN and picked up a 1989 Yamaha FJ1200. I flew in late, stayed at a hotel. The seller picked me up the next morning at 8am. 8:50am....I was on the road back to Columbia. 6pm I was in my driveway. A very good experience. Still talk to the seller now and then. Do it, I don't think you will regret it. Just make sure your comfortable with the seller and the condition of the B first.
    Attachment 23557

Plane trip was not close enough to where I needed to be, so I took a Greyhound bus..... Now that was an adventure. I came from Orlando to mid Mississippi. Rode the bike 700 miles home the next day. Went thru the gears slowly at each 2 hour gas stop. Kept the bik e at 65 or below on the trip. Found it to be the most comfortable bike I have ridden, like the stock seat. I would do it all again. I have almost 23,000 on the bike now and runs same as new. Have 19,000 on a CT Bridgestone Driveguard rear tire. Use Rotella and a basic filter. Bellypan for speedbumps. Headlight modulator and brake strobes. Repainted a few months back to a red metallic with metallic and several coats of clearcoat. Some really great deals out there right now on 2013 and 2014 leftovers.

My 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by Felloverboard View Post
    Plane trip was not close enough to where I needed to be, so I took a Greyhound bus..... Now that was an adventure. I came from Orlando to mid Mississippi. Rode the bike 700 miles home the next day. Went thru the gears slowly at each 2 hour gas stop. Kept the bik e at 65 or below on the trip. Found it to be the most comfortable bike I have ridden, like the stock seat. I would do it all again. I have almost 23,000 on the bike now and runs same as new. Have 19,000 on a CT Bridgestone Driveguard rear tire. Use Rotella and a basic filter. Bellypan for speedbumps. Headlight modulator and brake strobes. Repainted a few months back to a red metallic with metallic and several coats of clearcoat. Some really great deals out there right now on 2013 and 2014 leftovers.
    I just had to clear this up, break in on a new bike is 5 seconds in first gear then you ride it like you stole it. The pistons in a new engine need to top out in the cylinders and if you don't push it and drive it like the manual says that doesn't happen. I have broken in every new engine the same way, have never had a problem with it burning oil. Babying a new engine is just plain wrong. Absolutely the worst way to break in a new engine. That isn't just my humble opinion either, a professional will tell you the same thing.

Fly

I'm prepared to fly to buy my F6B. I've been looking all over Canada and there are some good deals out there. If I could sell my vfr1200, I'm ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
    Who has flown to buy a motorcycle. I kinda want to do a f6b this way so that I can get into the fun real quick.
    I've done it twice. Once to buy from dealer and once from private party. Both times were a fun adventure for me. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I just had to clear this up, break in on a new bike is 5 seconds in first gear then you ride it like you stole it. The pistons in a new engine need to top out in the cylinders and if you don't push it and drive it like the manual says that doesn't happen. I have broken in every new engine the same way, have never had a problem with it burning oil. Babying a new engine is just plain wrong. Absolutely the worst way to break in a new engine. That isn't just my humble opinion either, a professional will tell you the same thing.
    I drove 375 miles to pick mine up and drove it home. It needs to be said that over 300 of the miles were on I-95 southbound. It was rare when the speed-O dropped below 80 MPH---always because of stalled traffic.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I flew from Utah to Indiana last November to buy. I took the southern route and just spent most of my time on Interstate until northern New Mexico...then I had some fun state roads to ride. The ride was great until the pan handle of Texas...28 degrees....brutal. I bought from South Carolina a couple of weeks ago, but chose shipping. I couldn't break away this time. Go get her!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great fly n buy

Quote Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
    I flew up to Pennsylvania from Chattanooga Tennessee and bought my gently used 2013 F6B, flight was cool but the ride home was fantastic 750 miles. I had a blast. Saw some country I've never seen and brought home my 5th gold wing. I also came off a sport bike to a F6B, these handle a lot like a big sport bike. I really enjoy my bike. Its my daily driver.
    Allow Jesus to lead, your life will be complete.

I started this thread while looking at honda of russelvilles inventory. But it looks like Bill And Hillary clinton airport is the only thing relatively close, I just dont know........