What arkansas road was your favorite - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What arkansas road was your favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    This is a real tough question. I've been running these roads for several years and it is still real hard to answer. So, I keep running them hoping I can make up my mind!!

If I had to pick just one favorite ... then it would be Push Mountain. After that it gets harder.

Hope some of you can come on back and help be decide!!
    Monk,
    I wasn't able to make the rally but might try to do a couple day ride down that way, might be able to get a Friday off soon. Does this look like it might get some of the good roads covered?
    https://goo.gl/maps/EKBw6iQon4p

Thanks for any info,
    Robert

There is a short section of Rt 9 from 65 to Fairfield Bay that I did multiple times and it became my fave. Only about 8-10 miles but it had it all....

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Monk,
    I wasn't able to make the rally but might try to do a couple day ride down that way, might be able to get a Friday off soon. Does this look like it might get some of the good roads covered?
    https://goo.gl/maps/EKBw6iQon4p

Thanks for any info,
    Robert
    Its hard for me not to get carried away when looking at routes through the Ozarks. Normally, I would say you have a good looking route, but there are a couple of issues I can make you aware of. Then you decide if you need to do any modifications. That section of highway 7 from Sand Gap to highway 164 is under construction(they are putting in passing lanes). However, hitting it on a weekend would be less of a problem, except for the increase in traffic. Also, that lower section of highway 123 has chip and seal that is pretty fresh. It was put down about one month ago and still has some loose spots in it. I would recommend trying to do your lope including the upper part of highway 123 and maybe including some of highway 21 in the mix.

Maybe something like this. https://goo.gl/maps/jyVdJe2yn4B2
    This would also bypass Harrison. I also included (me getting carried away) highway 125 in Missouri. If can make the time to do this road please do so. It has fresh new pavement with some of the best curves you will find anywhere.

Another option above would be to take 7 south as you have planned then take 164 over to highway 21 and run it back north and pick up the my route in the attached map. 21 is one of my several favorites in that part of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    There is a short section of Rt 9 from 65 to Fairfield Bay that I did multiple times and it became my fave. Only about 8-10 miles but it had it all....
    I would agree, that is a very nice road. I usually take it on my way up from Morrilton to Push Mountain. But, others be aware. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I would say that well over half the time I run that road it is clogged with traffic. It is the main route from Clinton to northern part of the lake and also up to Mountain View. So there is a high probably that you will end up in a train with very little opportunity to pass. There are just too many driveways and too much traffic.

I'm certainly glad you got lucky. It is a blast when no one is around!!
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

Quote Originally Posted by zzh54 View Post
    Very hard question to answer. Reservebum and I put about 1400 miles on from Sunday afternoon till the following Sunday. I don't really remember hitting a bad road, Push Mountain, 7, 21, 23, 123 the list could go on. Great rides no matter where we went.

P.S. CHESS FOR PRESIDENT
    The committee on finding the right candidate approve this announcement.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Thank you so much Monk!
    It's hard to find these nice little 1 or 2 day rides without getting expert advice, experience beats a squiggly line on a map. Will definitely skip the tar and chip, your refined map is my new map.
    Thanks again.

Wow! Had a fantastic 2 day ride through there.
    Finally got some good wear on the other sections of my tires.
    Beautiful area, but could only enjoy it peripherally, not many pull offs and those turns need your undivided attention.
    Thanks again for the route advice Monk, it was smooth sailing.
    Will be heading back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Wow! Had a fantastic 2 day ride through there.
    Finally got some good wear on the other sections of my tires.
    Beautiful area, but could only enjoy it peripherally, not many pull offs and those turns need your undivided attention.
    Thanks again for the route advice Monk, it was smooth sailing.
    Will be heading back soon.
    Glad you enjoyed the route. Yes, a lot of that is pretty remote, so there are very few developed places to take a break. But the curvy roads are assume.
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128