Oregon, N. Cali epic trip came to an end on day 1

Thread: Oregon, N. Cali epic trip came to an end on day 1

Angry Oregon, N. Cali epic trip came to an end on day 1

Started and ended my 4-5 day solo camping trip today

Left Wenatchee at 06:30, stopped in Yakima for gas and quick bite to eat at EZ mart. After gassing up, I pulled forward and tried to hop off, but my right heel caught my dry back strapped onto the passenger pillion. Then a cramp hit my right hamstring, so I tried to power through and get that damn foot over. I twisted and heard a loud click in my left knee. Damn it
    Torn meniscus (happened in my right knee about 6 years ago).

Now, I'm limping, but I pushed on to Mt. St. Helens on NF 25 then east on NF 90—Hwy 503. I stopped in Kalama to take Tyl and Ibuprofen, but the pain only worsened.

My plan was to go to Astoria, follow 101 and camp at Cape Lookout near Tillamook, head to the Redwoods tomorrow, then do some windy roads in N. Calif, up to Crater Lake then back to Wenatchee.

Instead, Im now home in bed, leg up, ice pack on, and two Vicodins working magic..

At least my ass doesn't hurt after 600 miles.

I really liked Hwy 503—fun, lakeside ride.

Bummer! Sorry to hear of your bad luck. The best laid plans of men and mice etc., etc. Wishing you a speedy and total recovery plus better fortune on your next try at this trip.

Kalama/Kelso/Sw Washington.

Glad you made it back!

Next time you come here (kalama,Kelso, Sw Washington) Look me know. I have a extra room you more than welcome.

Side note, going up to Leavenworth for Oktoberfest. I will be there October 14/15/16. Not riding going with bunch of people. Pm me if you can come up!

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    Started and ended my 4-5 day solo camping trip today
    Left Wenatchee at 06:30, stopped in Yakima for gas and quick bite to eat at EZ mart. After gassing up, I pulled forward and tried to hop ON, but my right heel caught my dry BAG strapped onto the passenger pillion. Then a cramp hit my right hamstring, so I tried to power through and get that damn foot over. I twisted and heard a loud click in my left knee. Damn it

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event at the beginning of your trip! I read your post several times, and I made some changes which I believe you meant to write? Let me know if this is correct (or auto-correct!)

We are all getting older, could happen to anyone...I have read about guys who get their foot caught under the rear wheel while seated and pushing off...

I'm not on this board much, mostly because I have no problems at all with my F6!
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Bummer! Sorry to hear of your bad luck. The best laid plans of men and mice etc., etc. Wishing you a speedy and total recovery plus better fortune on your next try at this trip.
    Thank you. I appreciate the sentiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolsch View Post
    Glad you made it back!

Next time you come here (kalama,Kelso, Sw Washington) Look me know. I have a extra room you more than welcome.

Side note, going up to Leavenworth for Oktoberfest. I will be there October 14/15/16. Not riding going with bunch of people. Pm me if you can come up!
    Sounds good. I'll check my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event at the beginning of your trip! I read your post several times, and I made some changes which I believe you meant to write? Let me know if this is correct (or auto-correct!)

We are all getting older, could happen to anyone...I have read about guys who get their foot caught under the rear wheel while seated and pushing off...

I'm not on this board much, mostly because I have no problems at all with my F6!
    No, I was actually getting OFF the bike. I tried swinging my right foot over the dry bag while dismounting, but my heel caught the dry bag, which is normally no big deal, except a cramp or Charlie horse suddenly hit. That's when I twisted my left knee trying to get my right foot over the dry bag.
    It was plain awkward.

Funny part. I tore my right meniscus years ago and had a meniscectomy. Last Saturday my wife and I were flying back from Las Vegas and I ran into my surgeon on the SeaTac tram. Small world, huh? Might be seeing him soon. I've still got a week of vacation to recuperate.

Was just in Vegas/Utah/Grand Canyon. Wow, stunning geography! Pic was taken at the North Rim of Grand Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    Was just in Vegas/Utah/Grand Canyon. Wow, stunning geography! Pic was taken at the North Rim of Grand Canyon.
    Those look like winter coats in that pic,...at the Grand Canyon?
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Those look like winter coats in that pic,...at the Grand Canyon?
    More like spring coats. No heavy duty lining inside. Elevation near 8k feet. The weather was foul. Passing downpours. Low 50's. Still awesome!

If you zoom in the attached photo, you'll see a couple at the far left. That's the spot my wife and I took the photo of ourselves. Cool, huh?

This was at Bryce Canyon. Down poured on us there as well.

Sorry to hear about the trip. Sounds like it would have been fun. If you redo it next year and would like some company, please reach out. Probably at least a couple of us from Oregon would tag along!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson