#1 Rated touring bike the Goldwing - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #1 Rated touring bike the Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I had read this opinion last spring and pretty much agree with it...but a later road test in a rider mag said although the GW was still the king of touring bikes, the newer top line Road Glides and Indian Roadmasters had better or equal wind protection, better front end suspension, and more up-dated electronics.....Really don't care as I intend to keep my F6B....Regards and ride safe
    I believe this is the one I read, although the it did put the Goldwing first.

Funny. I read that a few weeks back. Decided I wanted a Victory Cross Country. The dealer had no interest in trading for my Ninja 1000. Ended that idea. Went to my dealer expecting to ride out on a Voyager. Did not like it at all. Rode a 15 HD Road King and suprisingly loved it. Couldn't get my negative equity financed. I rode out on the F6b for less money, brand new, and much happier than I was on my first one. It took riding many other bikes to fully appreciate the B. To make it perfect it needs the right seat, windshield, and a few suspension tweaks. My wife loves it too. Biggest reason right there.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Indian Roadmaster

Motorcyclist chose Indian Roadmaster for touring bike of this year. Issue just came out. BMW K1600 honorable mention.

The article I read must have been a year old already, but I swear I thought it was from 2016. At 56 now I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time. In my opinion it's the best touring bike. How could a V Twin Indian be rated best with all that vibration. I don't get it. I would want a smooth engine to prevent riding fatigue.

With Harley and triumph both stepping up their horsepower maybe honda will add a couple of cams and 12 valves increase red line and bring this flat six some big power, imagine 10k red line and 180 horse

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    With Harley and triumph both stepping up their horsepower maybe honda will add a couple of cams and 12 valves increase red line and bring this flat six some big power, imagine 10k red line and 180 horse

LOL
    Although nice to have, that would require a whole new ground up engine design, and who knows what that would look like. As it is right now the GL1800 engine pieces work beautifully together and we benefit from 15 years of refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    The article I read must have been a year old already, but I swear I thought it was from 2016. At 56 now I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time. In my opinion it's the best touring bike. How could a V Twin Indian be rated best with all that vibration. I don't get it. I would want a smooth engine to prevent riding fatigue.
    I'm pretty confident that I have read multiple times in Motorcyclist Magazine and similar magazines that they are considering newer models or models with significant upgrades when the choose their motorcycles of the year. I suspect that most of them would agree with us that The Goldwing is still the best touring bike made, but since it hasn't had any significant changes in so many years they are not going to consider it in the voting. With that said I would disagree with your comment about Indians vibrating. It is extremely smooth. It does give off too much heat and if they eventually use water cooling it will be an awesome touring bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Have you ridden the newest Indian motorcycles, i.e., The Roadmaster, Chieftain, etc...No noticeable vibration and on the highway damn near as smooth as one would want.....Just sayin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Although nice to have, that would require a whole new ground up engine design, and who knows what that would look like. As it is right now the GL1800 engine pieces work beautifully together and we benefit from 15 years of refinement.
    I do not think it would need complete resign to go from single cam two valve to for valve and better yet dual cam... new head and cam and chain, new computer tune and voila much more hp. I have seen older Porsche boxer engine turn 16k and scream great amount of power

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Have you ridden the newest Indian motorcycles, i.e., The Roadmaster, Chieftain, etc...No noticeable vibration and on the highway damn near as smooth as one would want.....Just sayin!!!
    Your right, opas. The Road Master Does Not vibrate.
    I road one last week and was totally impressed with the engine - great torque, suspension - totally adjustable front and back, and the electronics were over the top.
    Fit and finish is excellant. The ergoes; like heated seats and adjustable floor boards, electric windscreen and Touch screen everything, including a great sounding stereo, certainly will make this bike a tough act to follow for a premium touring platform.
    31k.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe