Time for new tires - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for new tires

My next set is the Elite 4...I saw Teach ride with hers, and they stick so good you can hear it. Rain and tar snakes.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Called the stealership where I bought it used , $300 for Dunlop elite 4, if I bring bike in and they take care of it. Those doing the c t or buying online have any issues getting someone to mount them.
    I might be leaning darks idea as half my riding is easy sight seeing 2 up. My solo riding is just not aggressive as I feel like this bike compares to trying to barrel race a draft horse, might be capable of impressive things but does not compare to the best made for twisties

Loving that Elite 4

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    My next set is the Elite 4...I saw Teach ride with hers, and they stick so good you can hear it. Rain and tar snakes.
    If I hadn't already bought an OEM Bridgestone front tire when I heard about the Elite 4's Dunlop was coming out with I would have had a set put on instead of just the rear but my initial scuff in on the brand new Elite 4 rear tire told me that this is the tire I was looking for. For a brand new tire to hold onto the curves at the speeds I was running it sold itself. I was amazed at its holding power. There will be a front Elite 4 put on when the Bridgestone wears out.

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    Called the stealership where I bought it used , $300 for Dunlop elite 4, if I bring bike in and they take care of it. Those doing the c t or buying online have any issues getting someone to mount them.
    I might be leaning darks idea as half my riding is easy sight seeing 2 up. My solo riding is just not aggressive as I feel like this bike compares to trying to barrel race a draft horse, might be capable of impressive things but does not compare to the best made for twisties
    Most of us have been buying the car tires online. Most of us just take the wheel off of the bike (easy) and bring them in to a motorcycle shop to have the car tire mounted. Just tell them it's for a trike if they are wigged out. I would wager (based upon my recent conversion) that motorcycle dealers/shops are seemingly not too alarmed about doing it these days since it's becoming common.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Most of us have been buying the car tires online. Most of us just take the wheel off of the bike (easy) and bring them in to a motorcycle shop to have the car tire mounted. Just tell them it's for a trike if they are wigged out. I would wager (based upon my recent conversion) that motorcycle dealers/shops are seemingly not too alarmed about doing it these days since it's becoming common.
    When I did my Valkyrie, I asked Ray , the head mechanic at my local Honda dealer if he'd mount it for me. He told me as long as I brought the wheel in and didn't tell anyone. You didn't hear this from me.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I ride with lot of guys on car tires, either on Valkyries or Gold WIngs. These guys ride hard I can assure of that. However, one thing I did notice on a couple of rides. We were pushing it pretty hard with triple digit speeds in the twisties. Coming into some corners that abruptly decreased in radius, a couple of the guys, on Wings with car tires, were pushing to the outside of the turns to the point of running off the road nearly. In those same turns, I found it fairly easily just to sink the bike harder into the corner and maintained my line. Now these guys are goofs, and we were also playing around a lot so some of that might explain it too. However, my car tire experience on the Valk, kind of coorelates to what I observed.
    You can't compare your experience with the CT on the Valk and a Wing. I mounted the same run flat tire on my 03 Wing and my 99 Valk. The Wing I could not tell the difference between it and the motorcycle tire. The Valk can't wait to go back to the motorcycle tire.

Riders ask me all the time how I like my CT over my stones. I ask them if every bike they owned was the same in corners. Of course not, but they did take getting use to and after awhile you don't even notice. I don't even notice that my back tire is Darksided most the time. The feeling I get is smoother than a MC tire, I feel more in contact with the road, a lot more stable in the rain and due to changes in profile just a smidgen more flat footed. For a cost that is slightly less than the normal tire and should last 3x longer, I'll give it a try. CT mounted at 26k, currently 30k. Will let you know.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I did exactly that. In preparation for going Darkside; I bought a brand new Goldwing takeoff wheel and brand new Bridgestone tire mounted on it. In case I decided I didn't like the car tire.

Now... I am stuck with... a brand new Goldwing takeoff wheel and brand new Bridgestone tire already mounted on it. That I never will use.
    Wanna sell it?

WHY??

Okay, other than being cheap & getting a zillion miles out of a car tire, what's the other "real" reasons for using one?
    I ain't buying better ride & handling, a car tire is designed to carry several times the weight of a MC & ride flat, with 3 more helping it to roll & track in a straight line. Better ride & handling, I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    You can't compare your experience with the CT on the Valk and a Wing. I mounted the same run flat tire on my 03 Wing and my 99 Valk. The Wing I could not tell the difference between it and the motorcycle tire. The Valk can't wait to go back to the motorcycle tire.
    What your experiencing with the difference in handling is more than likely the results of bike "Dry Weight"! With the Wing at 800.3 lb. dry and the Valk at 681.2 lb. dry, the 119.1 lb. makes for a big difference in maneuverability. There may also be a slight difference in the front "rake and trail" of both bikes.