Finally got my first flat tire kit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my first flat tire kit

Finally got my first flat tire kit

Been riding off and on since 92 and have never carried anything for a flat tire possibility. Guess I've been lucky. I got the Stop n Go kit and the Slime 50001 pump and removed the slime bottle. Fit together perfectly!
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    Been riding off and on since 92 and have never carried anything for a flat tire possibility. Guess I've been lucky. I got the Stop n Go kit and the Slime 50001 pump and removed the slime bottle. Fit together perfectly!
    I have had the Stop n Go kit for years and my advice is to use it and get familiar with how it works now while you are home. You may be surprised how difficult it is to plug a tire and it is better to learn this procedure in a stress free environment and not when you are lying on the ground in an unfamiliar setting with a flat tire.

Also,,, in case you do not have a center stand.... be aware when you have a rear flat your bike may not stay on the side stand due to the change in lean angle.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Yep... echo his comments above about familiarizing yourself with that Stop -n- Go kit. It's a little more involved than using the simple string type tire plugger (which I now carry).

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Wasn't sure if one of those would work on a bike. Dang. Thanks for the tips. Believe I will have to get a center stand next year.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Dual post
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

You have the right set up

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    Dual post
    The center stand makes using your tire plugger that much better as it gets the tire off the ground and lets you get it in the right place to make plugging the hole much easier. A flat tire on a 850 pound bike does not roll worth a dam so the center stand comes on very handy. Also if you have an old tire you took off the bike drill a hole in it with a power drill and practice on that, lets you get the hang of that tire plugger.

If you are by your self , and unless your the incredible hulk you most likely will not be able to get the bike up on the center stand with a flat rear tire. Just ask the guys that have put the lowering link in the rear suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    If you are by your self , and unless your the incredible hulk you most likely will not be able to get the bike up on the center stand with a flat rear tire. Just ask the guys that have put the lowering link in the rear suspension.

...but as another way; you can lay it over on the right side engine guard/saddlebag guards and get to the tire in that manner.

The problem presented is a flat tire. The solution is to address it as best you can. Or wait for a tow truck; time lost and rider happiness dissipated.

I opt to fix that sucker myself. and I have been there and done that.

We motorcyclists (for the large part of our population -weekend H.D. Pirates) should be self reliant. What do you think?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I've carryed a tire repair kit sence 1981. The first bike,1981 CB900 custom,the first of many that I owned that had tubbless tires. I've had a Slime pump sence thay first came out. I had an expansion joint pull out what I later figured out was a 1/4" bolt at 70 mph on my 98 Valk. A Good Samaritan pulled over and asked if he could be of help. Where I had to fix the tire was a right hand, down hill curve on an interstate. I was great full for the help. With big rigs going by trying to blow the bike off the side stand I had him keep the bike upright while I laid on the ground plugging and airing up the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    I've carryed a tire repair kit sence 1981. The first bike,1981 CB900 custom,the first of many that I owned that had tubbless tires. I've had a Slime pump sence thay first came out. I had an expansion joint pull out what I later figured out was a 1/4" bolt at 70 mph on my 98 Valk. A Good Samaritan pulled over and asked if he could be of help. Where I had to fix the tire was a right hand, down hill curve on an interstate. I was great full for the help. With big rigs going by trying to blow the bike off the side stand I had him keep the bike upright while I laid on the ground plugging and airing up the tire.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537