LED Hi-Beams - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LED Hi-Beams

Hornblower what k number are the HID'S on the low beam?
    Ride it like you stole it

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    Hornblower what k number are the HID'S on the low beam?
    The answer is....6000 kelvin.

HID Projectors are the only way to go.

HID Bulbs scatter the light up to the trees.

HID Projectors focus the light on the road.

Attachment 2343

3.0 lens HID Projectors on my 2004 Wing.
    Attachment 2344

I tried to make a more informative post, but this board won't let me add the pictures that would show the different types of set up's I have tried to save you from doing what I did to learn.

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    OK, Giddyup, you asked for it, you got it!

The front lights in all their glory What you're seeing here are the low-beam HID's and hi-beam LED's from SoCalMotoGear and the 960 cowl lights from BikeMP3. Not a bad color match if I do say so myself.
    That looks great...thank you! Nice color match. This is definitely an option now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    HID Bulbs scatter the light up to the trees.

HID Projectors focus the light on the road.

Rocky, from my own personal experience, I will NOT run Projector lights as the main source of light, or...even as an auxiliiary light that I want to use to "light up further down the road". I have no doubt that my experiences will differ from yours, but...when traveling at more than a ton, in the Nevada deserts, which is Open Range country, I want all my lights to light up as close to a 180 degree arch in front of me, rather than straight down the road. My experience with Projector lights is that the light gets TOO diffused, and does not go as FAR, or as WIDE as I need it to.

Now, if I was traveling around on a White Pimp-mobile, then I really have no need to see more than a mile down the road, as all my girls would be working the street corners in my immediate neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Rocky, from my own personal experience, I will NOT run Projector lights as the main source of light, or...even as an auxiliiary light that I want to use to "light up further down the road". I have no doubt that my experiences will differ from yours, but...when traveling at more than a ton, in the Nevada deserts, which is Open Range country, I want all my lights to light up as close to a 180 degree arch in front of me, rather than straight down the road. My experience with Projector lights is that the light gets TOO diffused, and does not go as FAR, or as WIDE as I need it to.

Now, if I was traveling around on a White Pimp-mobile, then I really have no need to see more than a mile down the road, as all my girls would be working the street corners in my immediate neighborhood.
    I understand your point. but your point is exactly why I went this route. I couldn't see the road that far in front of me with HID bulb kit.They didn't throw the light far enough down the road.Sort of a halo effect.
    Now with the projectors I can see the road further down the road than with just the HID Bulbs. They are a more focused light.

Keep in mind now, that my HID Low Beams are also High beams in the same projector. via the internal solenoid.

I guess a side by side would help see the differences between Projectors/HID Bulbs. I'm like a lot of you "A visual guy". It they don't cut the mustard,they are out of here.

Now for the OP's LED Bulbs.

Here is a thread with pictures showing the differences between Halogen/LED 85 watt bulbs to check out. http://*****************/forums/show...ighlight=bulbs

"I have decided to go with either the new LED High Beams like Hornblower has suggested, or...as an immediate fix...to install the PIAA Super White bulbs that I "did" have installed as Low Beam bulbs, prior to going to all 4 HIDs. I saved those PIAA Super White bulbs, as they cost a pretty penny, and now I will have a use for them."

PIAA sells their name just like IBM, etc.
    Nokya makes better bulbs and they're available for $25.00/pair.

Light above 5000K starts to diminish its usefulness. Any shift toward the blue spectrum becomes a negative for the human eyeball which does not respond to infra-red or ultraviolet light.

Nokya bulbs are available in 5000K rating which is about as close as you can get to actual sunlight (5150K).
    I can not imagine why HIDs are not available at 5000K.

after market bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by 4DI2D View Post
    "I have decided to go with either the new LED High Beams like Hornblower has suggested, or...as an immediate fix...to install the PIAA Super White bulbs that I "did" have installed as Low Beam bulbs, prior to going to all 4 HIDs. I saved those PIAA Super White bulbs, as they cost a pretty penny, and now I will have a use for them."

PIAA sells their name just like IBM, etc.
    Nokya makes better bulbs and they're available for $25.00/pair.

Light above 5000K starts to diminish its usefulness. Any shift toward the blue spectrum becomes a negative for the human eyeball which does not respond to infra-red or ultraviolet light.

Nokya bulbs are available in 5000K rating which is about as close as you can get to actual sunlight (5150K).
    I can not imagine why HIDs are not available at 5000K.
    You have to be very carefull when adding any light bulbs that draw more then 55 watts. the relays that run these lights will not always handle the extra loads, and the three wire harness plug in will also melt, i no some of you are running large bulbs, but i would have a extra relay and socket in the bike, and it may fail at a bad time. we have installed many relays and sockets on Gl1800 from overloading. dale

Hot bulbs and piaa

Plus one on Hondabikepro's warning about heavy wattage bulbs. And Piaas ARE overpriced but have a great warranty on lamps.

Three years ago one of my Piaa 1100 lamps cracked leaving me with no ground for the bulb. I called Piaa USA and they replaced the 6 year old lamp(minus the H-7) free!

Thank y'all for the feedback on lamps; i'm fixin' to add more light to the front of 'Big Red", so keep the feedback coming!

God bless,

srkeet

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Dayum, Been a 'single-bulb' kinda guy all these years before the F6B,,, Y'all must look like a 747 coming down the pike! LOL!