LED Hi-Beams - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LED Hi-Beams

Quote Originally Posted by hondabikepro View Post
    You have to be very carefull when adding any light bulbs that draw more then 55 watts. the relays that run these lights will not always handle the extra loads, and the three wire harness plug in will also melt, i no some of you are running large bulbs, but i would have a extra relay and socket in the bike, and it may fail at a bad time. we have installed many relays and sockets on Gl1800 from overloading. dale
    Dale-Thanks for that word of caution. The LED hi-beams are advertised at 80 watts (16-5W elements in each bulb) so this has me wondering. I've been dealing with LED bulbs in general for quite a while now and I think it's accurate to say they are often wattage-overrated. Perhaps that's the case here and, if so, that might be a good thing. I may check the amp draw with a clip-on ammeter just to see what's really going on. I'll report back later on that. I'll have to say though, considering we're only talking about roughly 2 amps difference, I'm a little surprised this represents a possible fuse or wiring problem.

Along this line, does anyone have spec's on the Alternator output on our bikes?(my shop manual hasn't arrived yet), and the maintenance power requirements for the bike when running. Trying to figure how much excess wattage we have to play with. I will sat the alternator looks like a heavy duty unit.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
    Along this line, does anyone have spec's on the Alternator output on our bikes?(my shop manual hasn't arrived yet), and the maintenance power requirements for the bike when running. Trying to figure how much excess wattage we have to play with. I will sat the alternator looks like a heavy duty unit.

Jesse, the F6B alternator output is 1200 watts, or...100 amps. I can assure you...there is MORE than enough electrical output to power-up anything and everything you could ever want to have on this bike. The important thing is...as Dale and others are pointing out...make sure that the wiring and connectors for aftermarket items, such as lighting...can handle the load that the lighting is asking for. The bike can power a small city...but the individual wires going to and from particular connectors, may not be designed to handle additional loads above what they were originally designed for.

light

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Dale-Thanks for that word of caution. The LED hi-beams are advertised at 80 watts (16-5W elements in each bulb) so this has me wondering. I've been dealing with LED bulbs in general for quite a while now and I think it's accurate to say they are often wattage-overrated. Perhaps that's the case here and, if so, that might be a good thing. I may check the amp draw with a clip-on ammeter just to see what's really going on. I'll report back later on that. I'll have to say though, considering we're only talking about roughly 2 amps difference, I'm a little surprised this represents a possible fuse or wiring problem.
    you are correct at 2 amp per bulb =4 amp draw, stock draw at 55 watts time s two is about 8.8 amps, at 80 watts times two it is about 12.8 amps, that is a big increased load on the one relay, there are two relays in this head light system one for high and one for low beam. we have had customers tie into the low beam wiring to run after market lights, and power them off this connection, if you do this you will destroy the starter button in the right handlebars switch Assembly, the dual contact switch will not handle the extra load. you can tie into low or high beam wiring if you use just a relay, and use this wiring as the trigger point for the relay, it will not add any load to the head light systems wiring. dale

HID Bulbs scatter the light up to the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Rocky, from my own personal experience, I will NOT run Projector lights as the main source of light, or...even as an auxiliiary light that I want to use to "light up further down the road". I have no doubt that my experiences will differ from yours, but...when traveling at more than a ton, in the Nevada deserts, which is Open Range country, I want all my lights to light up as close to a 180 degree arch in front of me, rather than straight down the road. My experience with Projector lights is that the light gets TOO diffused, and does not go as FAR, or as WIDE as I need it to.

Now, if I was traveling around on a White Pimp-mobile, then I really have no need to see more than a mile down the road, as all my girls would be working the street corners in my immediate neighborhood.
    I agree. HID Non- Projector lights seem to be a better solution especially at night. Being able to see in a 180 degree pattern of light and what might be lurking on the side of the road and may potentially dart into my path is more important and more immediate than seeing a narrower field of light at a greater distance.
    Fulfilling Your Passion Since 2001.
    http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Jesse, the F6B alternator output is 1200 watts, or...100 amps. I can assure you...there is MORE than enough electrical output to power-up anything and everything you could ever want to have on this bike. The important thing is...as Dale and others are pointing out...make sure that the wiring and connectors for aftermarket items, such as lighting...can handle the load that the lighting is asking for. The bike can power a small city...but the individual wires going to and from particular connectors, may not be designed to handle additional loads above what they were originally designed for.
    Thanks Miles, as a 'HAM' radio operator of many years (N5CRK, or in Germany DA1YM) I am well aware of load limitations vs wire gauge, learned some of it the hard way

This thread started out as "LED Hi-Beams". One question that hasn't been answered is, How do they work? Do they light up the road better than the OEM bulbs or do they just add light to the front of the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by BARRYS770 View Post
    This thread started out as "LED Hi-Beams". One question that hasn't been answered is, How do they work? Do they light up the road better than the OEM bulbs or do they just add light to the front of the bike?
    So far, I can tell you this...they do not project light further down the road than the stock hi-beams. In fact, with my HID lo-beams and 960's running, I can hardly see any difference when I add in the hi-beams. It's more of a "fill light" kind of thing. OTOH, I'm very happy with these since overall, I have plenty of light going down the road and the color match is very good.

Cool

Barry.... HID's Rock !!!!! I would not own a vehicle w/o them..... having said that to me they are worth the money and time....for me...you really don't need the high beams as the low beams do such a great job they are not needed...and...if/when you turn them off and on it causes damage to them... I have them because here in Fl. we have a lot of older folks that seem to have trouble seeing motorcycles...there for I have the high beams to blind them in the daylight !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BARRYS770 View Post
    I put LED's on my last bike, won't do it again. I couldn't see as well down the road as I could with the stock. However, I can guarantee that people will see you coming, as they are really bright to oncoming traffic, so much so, people were always flashing the high beams at me at night. Just my experience