I am getting close! Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am getting close! Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?

I am getting close! Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?

I moved one step closer today to owning either the F6B or a level 1 Goldwing. I received a check for earnest money on my old bike to hold until the buyer can make a trip next week to take it home with him.

I am seeing a few new 2015 Level 1 Gold Wings for $18,900. 2016 F6B Deluxe for $17,400. Not much difference really. You do get a few things on the Gold Wings that are missing on the F6B of course. Given the close price difference, what are the considerations you can think of before choosing? ABS? Bigger windshield? Adjustable headlights? Extra storage? Does the F6B just look less cumbersome? WOuld you consider the 2015 Gold Wing more than the 2016 F6B if the price was close to the same?

I am 57 and plan for this to be my last new bike choice. Hopefully I will get it right and maybe as early as next week.

It comes down to personal preference. For $1500 more, you do get a lot more features (trunk, air suspension, adjustable windshield, etc). I briefly considered the full Wing last year before buying the F6B, which is why I am replying to this thread. For me, the looks of the full Wing just turned me off (I kept seeing the Family Truckster when I looked at it) as well as the seat, which put me far too close to the handlebars. The rider sits back a few more inches on the F6B in its attempt to be an "Alt. Cruiser."

If you like the looks of the full Wing, and fit in the seat comfortably, and/or ride 2 up often, I would consider it. The F6B has a stiffer ride, though better handling due to the suspension and lack of a heavy top trunk.

Personally, I would go for a Victory CC Tour or BMW 1600 over the full Wing. Both of those bikes are more up to date in the full-blown touring category.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Milkmaster View Post
    I moved one step closer today to owning either the F6B or a level 1 Goldwing. I received a check for earnest money on my old bike to hold until the buyer can make a trip next week to take it home with him.

I am seeing a few new 2015 Level 1 Gold Wings for $18,900. 2016 F6B Deluxe for $17,400. Not much difference really. You do get a few things on the Gold Wings that are missing on the F6B of course. Given the close price difference, what are the considerations you can think of before choosing? ABS? Bigger windshield? Adjustable headlights? Extra storage? Does the F6B just look less cumbersome? WOuld you consider the 2015 Gold Wing more than the 2016 F6B if the price was close to the same?

I am 57 and plan for this to be my last new bike choice. Hopefully I will get it right and maybe as early as next week.
    You can only get ABS on a Level 3 Goldwing...at least in the USA.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Milkmaster View Post

Currently age 76 and have had 6 different bikes since I was 57 so be careful...I always wanted a GoldWing, but with my short inseam it just did not work for me...Bought a Valkyrie, VTX1800, a couple of Victory's and when I saw the 2013 F6B I said this is the one for me...After a short test ride I bought it that day and have loved it since day one...If your into touring, riding two-up a lot, hauling a lot of extras, etc. then the Wing would probably work for you better..In my opinion, and several others, the F6B is lighter, handles better, is faster due to less weight, and the lower seat height is great...Many install aftermarket windshields, seats, pipes, etc., as I have done, and I plan on keeping mine for a while longer....Ride them both if possible and then make your choice....Some rumors that Honda is planning a new generation of these bikes in 2017/18 so, be mindful of that, but so far it is only speculation!!!....Ride safe

For me it was the different seating position the F6B gives the rider,cool factor and then the price difference didn't hurt. I bought my F6B as a 13 leftover in 2014 ,so I was out the door at $15k with a year extra warranty and $1k in Honda accessories.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

The top box

Top boxes just don't belong on motorcycles. The wing is a sleek machine in F6B form and to me a Gold Wing is like a two story building on two wheels. After almost 2.5 years and 58,xxx miles Harley riders still come to my bike like its magnetic. They ask lots of questions, I have seen one or two reach out and touch it. Almost all conclude with... "you should get a real motorcycle next time".

This was my 92 Wing with the upper floor removed
    IMG_0575.jpg

Happy riding to you with whatever you decide.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

here are some differences from Wing to F6B

No Reverse
    No Adjustable Windshield
    No Lighted Handlebar controls
    No remote Adj Headlight
    No remote Adj Rear Suspension
    No remote locking Saddle Bags
    No Heated Seat
    No ABS
    No feet heater vent
    Obviously no Trunk... much easier to throw a leg over
    slightly wider Fairing... noticeable if you use highway pegs

I never liked the looks of the Full Wing BUT ---- as much as I like my F6B I wish it had a few more of the Wings goodies.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Do you ride with a passenger often? Most women like the comfort of the full wing, but if your mostly a solo rider, go for the 6. I got the 6 for its clean, hot rod looks, and it performs that way. I seldom ever, have a passenger, except for a luggage bag on long trips. These bikes were made for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    here are some differences from Wing to F6B

No Reverse - No big deal (less weight)
    No Adjustable Windshield - Went with Madstad, adjustable
    No Lighted Handlebar controls - didn't notice, don't care
    No remote Adj Headlight - who cares?
    No remote Adj Rear Suspension - Set mine once, never needed to change it
    No remote locking Saddle Bags - don't care
    No Heated Seat - Never had it on any other bike. I wear what I need
    No ABS - Yes ABS in Canada
    No feet heater vent - Don't need it
    Obviously no Trunk... much easier to throw a leg over
    slightly wider Fairing... noticeable if you use highway pegs
    No seat made for a 5'3" Japanese fella - great seat for a 6'3" Caucasian
    The only goodies I would like off the Wing are the extra audio system jack in the back seat and added rear speakers... but that can be addressed if needed.

None of the stuff a Wing offers is worth the extra cost IMO.
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?

Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?

There's three wings...
    1) Valkyrie
    2) F6B
    3) Full wing

The Valkyrie is perfect for the younger speedsters.
    The full wing is for the "old guys."
    And the F6B is PERFECT right in the middle, you're a bit more mature than the younger guys and not quite old enough to buy a full wing.