I am getting close! Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am getting close! Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Currently age 76 and have had 6 different bikes since I was 57 so be careful...I always wanted a GoldWing, but with my short inseam it just did not work for me...Bought a Valkyrie, VTX1800, a couple of Victory's and when I saw the 2013 F6B I said this is the one for me...After a short test ride I bought it that day and have loved it since day one...If your into touring, riding two-up a lot, hauling a lot of extras, etc. then the Wing would probably work for you better..In my opinion, and several others, the F6B is lighter, handles better, is faster due to less weight, and the lower seat height is great...Many install aftermarket windshields, seats, pipes, etc., as I have done, and I plan on keeping mine for a while longer....Ride them both if possible and then make your choice....Some rumors that Honda is planning a new generation of these bikes in 2017/18 so, be mindful of that, but so far it is only speculation!!!....Ride safe
    This pretty spot on for me. Metric bagger on one of the most proven platforms ever.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?

"Why did you choose the F6B over the Gold Wing?"

Because it is one bad azz looking and functional machine! Then when you factor in the cost savings compared to the Full Wing it was a no brainer for me. Every time I look at buying a Wing I cringe at its appearance... It screams old to me, even though I am old, I don't necessarily want to advertise it.

I will be addressing the somewhat limited storage issue of my Bee soon by adding a back rack with a detachable bag, in an attempt to keep it looking like a F6B, when not touring. As a side note, my wife and I spent a week on the Bee last month, and where fine with the storage. The only time I wanted more room was when it hit 92* one day and I wanted to ditch my helmet.

I had a full wing and loved it, but a few close calls with teen girls texting and pushing me and the wife off the road almost ended my riding days. Decided to be safer and went the 3-wheeled route,... huge disaster (see below) anyway when I decided to get back into riding I went looking for a trike/Wing and those things are just way over my budget. Decided to go back on two wheels and looked at new Wings and it being the 40th anniversary of the Wing the new color scheme was out and that carried a decent price so a dealer showed me a 2013 red F6B he had as a leftover and I liked the idea but did not like the red. He had a matte silver in stock new but that was it. Looking at the F6 I knew that was the bike that was going to bridge the gap between awesome and the Wing! Had to have one, went looking for a 14 leftover in yellow but that was near impossible. Came across the new 2015 blue and the search was over, found it, bought it, took home the same day!!
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

The F6B is a entry level Gold Wing that has the flat engine with shaft drive just like the very first Gold Wing had. Enjoy the Gold Wing of your choice.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

I just sold my full wing to buy the F6B. As many have already concluded, it comes down to personal preference. DMAGOLDRDR made a good list above of what you don't get with the F6B. If you feel like you can't live without that stuff, then by all means go with the full wing and if you have a passenger that you intend on riding long distances with, then maybe the full wing would be better. Not only for passenger comfort, but for more space to pack your crap. I for one don't miss any of the Wing items not on the F6B. By the way, you can adjust your F6B rear suspension...just not with a push of a button. For me, it is all about how I feel while I ride. I had to have that smooth, powerful motor but I had to feel good too. I always felt like I was sitting on top of my full wing and I feel like I'm sitting in my F6B, a part of the bike. I know one thing for sure...no matter your age and preferences...you'll look better on the F6B!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My main reasons 1. Wife liked it better. 2 I also liked looks better, I like not so common things
    3. Even though I listed it 3rd I could buy a f6b new cheaper than used wings with 20k miles and then found better price on used

I purchased a 2013 F6B in early 14 after owning a Valkyrie Interstate for over 12 years. The seating position seemed the closest to my Valkyrie and I liked the styling. My wife and I ride together alot, the bike is a big part of our "together time" and I noticed she was opting less and less to go out on the bike with me, which was unusual because pretty much every time she heard the Valkyrie fire up she was getting on the back of it.

After some conversation it was apparent she just wasn't happy with the accommodations on the back of the F6B. I tried different seats, backrests, floorboards, air wings, etc. She just never felt as tucked in to the bike as she did with the Valkyrie with its' trunk. When we first started looking at the Valkyrie replacements we looked at the full wing, the F6B and the new Valkyrie. The Valkyrie wasn't even in the running and I hated the seating position the full wing and I was concerned about changing to one from my F6B I spoke to my friend Des at Ultimate seats and he assured me he could get me comfortable on a Gold Wing.

We decided to go with a red/black anniversary model and as I rode it home I wondered if I had made a mistake as I hated how pushed forward and cramped the bike felt. Des was making a custom seat for me and I had to ride the bike with the stock seat for about 3 weeks until I could meet up with him at a rally. The new seat made all the difference and now I am totally happy with my choice. The heated seats, grips and footwarmers , reverse, navigation and adjustable on the fly suspension are awesome and I have no regrets with what I ended up with.
    Lake City Honda
    Warsaw, IN

Keep one thing in mind re: seating position

I am NOT pushing a Full Wing, just keep one thing in mind re: seating position, it is all the seat and NOT the bike. The Goldwings seat is what moves you forward not the bike itself.
    The seat mounting holes are the same on both the Wing and F6B. A Goldwing seat will actually bolt onto an F6B although it will look terrible because it is too short. I did it for a test fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

In order of importance : ease of mounting the pass. seat for wife - style and looks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For me, price was a huge factor. If you can afford a full wing, then I agree with above. I'd look at the Victory and BMW. I didn't like how dorky I felt getting on and off the full wing and while we ride two up often, I couldn't see riding solo with that trunk. I'm least impressed with the suspension on the B and plan to do some upgrades in the near future. I think the travel is really short on it. For the price you can get B's for, they're hard to beat. I went to the dealer fully expecting to ride out on a Kawi Voyager or a used 15 HD RK. Left on my 2nd B.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN