polished tank spots

Thread: polished tank spots

polished tank spots

Well, after a year with the Matte grey finish, I have a "grapefruit size" polished spot, on each side of my tank, where my knees rub on the tank, caused by rubbing during hard cornering. Knee on the tank side, and pressure on the foot rest during the corner, has worn the spots on each side. I don't mind, tho. Kinda like war badges on the 6. I guess I could get some of those tank pads, that I've read about in other threads, If the spots ever start to bother me. Anyone else have these on their 6?

There was a full wing in Russellville that had the TechSpec tank pads.
    i've been searching our forum sponsors, nothing yet.

No rub marks on my Matte finish. I understand the concept of hugging the tank with your knee's during cornering; but honestly I don't think I've done so on this bike.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I feel ya man.I too had the tank sides showing wear marks on my 13 Black F6B after a short time due to the awsome paint Honda gave the 13's.I installed the Techspec pads about two years ago and IMHO think they look good and have held up really well.They will suffice until I have her repainted with real paint and clearcoat.

edgeman55 please post a photo

Trying to protect my bike from this kind of paint wear.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

the matte finish is or is not wax friendly . i wax the blue bike in those areas
    Battoo

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    Trying to protect my bike from this kind of paint wear.
    Here you go.Bike is pretty dirty as they look nicer when clean but it gives you a idea of the coverage and look.These are the snakeskin ones.Attachment 24007Attachment 24008Attachment 24009

Those pads look good. Maybe I will get some. I plan to ride this bike until either the bike or me dies, which ever comes 1st. Love the bike, and could care less if Honda decided not to continue making them. I got Mine! I got 23000 miles in a year and a half, but I also have to store the bike 5-6 months up to keep the salt off it. I guess my knees polished my tank extra hard in Arkansas, riding with Pumper and Driver. Those are 2 riders that are a challenge to keep on pace with, on those twisty roads. Had a blast, tho, and learned a lot, too!