Short rider question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short rider question

Short rider question

I am not vertically challenged but my wife is. At a height of 5`2 do any of you think we can modify the bike enough for safe riding? She is an experienced rider mostly on a sportster. She has been riding an Ultra low but doesn't feel comfortable on it at stops and parking. She isn't flat footed and can't maneuver because of the weight. Is it crazy to think we can make the F6B work for her. Inseam is 28 inches. All of 120 lbs. We know about the lowering kit and would more than like have a seat modified for her. Has anyone done that out there? Any riders in that 5`2 ranger?

To be blunt; there's a point sometimes where there is too much bike for a rider.

A mustang seat will lower her down some; much more that the stock OEM seat.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Milkmaster View Post
    I am 5"9", barely, with a short inseam, and even with the Mustang seat and 1/2" soles and heels added to my boots, this 835 lb bike is sometimes a little "scary" for me...I am almost 77 years old and still in pretty good shape, but at 5'2"..I would suggest you try a lighter and smaller bike.....JMHO

even for big guys

I'm almost 6'3" and 250 lbs and have a 32 inch inseam and this big bike can give me trouble and I am an experience rider also, like the one thread said, their is a point where a bike can be too big a problem. You need to be flat footed when stopped and if your not the bike is the wrong size and if the weight is too much that is always a problem. There are some very nice low seat Honda's out there that fit Ladies just fine and are fast and able motorcycles.

I have a 5' 8" with a 29" inseam and the Mustang seat makes it almost OK / one foot or the other not both unless I squish my boys and stand up sort-of. I am fairly strong (I play soccer 2X a week) and sometimes it seems like it could get away from me. One little slippery spot or gravel etc... and you better be strong as hell. The bike is very well balanced and is OK 99.99% of the time.
    Steve

sorry!!! I just realized I could correct my posts. The above post has been fixed.
    Steve

My wife is 5'2" also. Yes I installed the Lowing kit and pulled the fork tubes up in the triple tree. Added a belly pan. Had a mustang seat but it put her too far back and she was reaching for the bars. Installed Helibars. Still reaching so put the stock seat back on and sold the mustang. She's can flat foot it but still backing it up is difficult so she parks nose up if she can't pull through. When she first got it she was intimidated and frankly a little scared of it. Some practice and she'll never need another bike.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red

Just say no!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Is it crazy to think we can make the F6B work for her.
    Yes, it's crazy. The bike is amazing while in motion, when not, it's a bohemith. When coming to a stop or maneuvering around in a parking lot, you quickly realize the weight. I'm plenty strong at 50 and still contemplate stops after 4K miles of riding my B. Do the right thing and buy her something way lighter. She'll enjoy it more and so will you, not having to help her move it around.

I think it will be a quite a bit too tall for her. Find something with a much lower seat height. I had to have my seat lowered, and I'm at 5'10".

If you/she are dead set on the f6b, you'd probably need to trike it, or get the leg up landing gear.