Here is my air filter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is my air filter.

Here is my air filter.

So here is my air filter at just shy of 31k. Looking at it , I think it validates that I hadn't perceived any performance loss . Doesn't hurt to replace it, but you open up the pleats and it looks pretty good. Now that I've took it out, the new one is going in.
    Attachment 24011
    I have a scope camera. When I get close to the next change, I'll be running it up and taking a look first.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So here is my air filter at just shy of 31k. Looking at it , I think it validates that I hadn't perceived any performance loss . Doesn't hurt to replace it, but you open up the pleats and it looks pretty good. Now that I've took it out, the new one is going in.
    Attachment 24011
    I have a scope camera. When I get close to the next change, I'll be running it up and taking a look first.
    Thanks for sharing. On the scopecam, how will you navigate past the filter box to see the filter, and will you have enough light to actually see that kind of detail in there? I've only used a scope cam on structures, never engines.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Thanks for sharing. On the scopecam, how will you navigate past the filter box to see the filter, and will you have enough light to actually see that kind of detail in there? I've only used a scope cam on structures, never engines.
    The end of the camera or scope is lighted. I can run it through the intake air ducts.

Yes, it is possible to run a lighted scope camera all of the way to the air filter. I plan to do this myself.

Thanks JimmyTee for sharing the pic and report of your air filter.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Yes !

Thanks for the perspective of 30,000+ and it doesn't look all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vondawg View Post
    Thanks for the perspective of 30,000+ and it doesn't look all that bad.
    No problem, just keep in mind, my experience may very well be different than someone elses. Really dependent on what the bike has been breathing for those miles. I see a wide variety of conditions and ride pretty much all year if the roads allow. The vast majority of my riding is on rural back roads in a mixture of farmlands, woods and mountains.

Attachment 24011
    Not at all bad...I have seen a couple of K&N filters pulled at 50,000 miles and they looked almost a clean as new..A lot depends on where you live and the weather you ride in!!....Ride safe....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Not at all bad...I have seen a couple of K&N filters pulled at 50,000 miles and they looked almost a clean as new..A lot depends on where you live and the weather you ride in!!....Ride safe....
    Mine at 12000 was pristine. But since the bike was opened for some radiator work I asked them to swap it. After seeing the filter my palm met my forehead with near violent speed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Attachment 24011
    Did my filter change at 30K miles and its condition was very similar to yours! I noticed no increase in performance or gas mileage with the new filter. I used a OEM Honda for replacement as the stock filter performed above my expectations

DSC_0007.jpg

Now that I'm aware of a good trick/tool for seperating the array of electrical connectors with "Hose Pliers" when accessing the filter, I anticipate the process to be quicker and use less "vulgarity"

Attachment 24016

Mine was about the same at 33k at the demo at HoR.
    I wouldn't change it before 30k unless you're riding in the desert a lot.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce