New BMW Bagger - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: New BMW Bagger

If my 36" inseam (and my wallet) digs it, I may look to be trading. The B is a wickedly bad ass machine and both of my long distance trips this summer were exceptional....'however', the beamer does not have the gargantuan fairing of the B, which for long legged guys it can be troublesome.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

Market Economics

I did a quick online search for bagger style bikes. Harley is the king of the market place followed by our F6B's. I own both of these brands. There are two new players in this market, BMW and Moto GUZZI along with the other large Japanese bike manufacturers. The UK has the Triumph Rocket Touring. The other North American bike manufacturer, Victory also has their Cross Country. By my count that is 9 motorcycle manufacturers building a bagger. The market cannot be large enough to support this style of bike from so many builders. A friend who works for Honda told me that they were considering dropping our bike from their line up in 2017 due to slow sales. This did not happen and the 2017 is now listed for sale in Canada. Lets face it you can still find the odd new 2013 F6B out there. Is there about to be a boom in bagger sales that we don't know about?

Great looking bike and assuming it had good ergos for store bought knees, I'd probably like it a lot. But the price tag is up there and I'd have to deal with the local Beemer dealer for service. And I'm having a love affair with the F6B. I'm pushing the age of 74 and I've sometimes wondered if the day would come when I'd have to downsize to something a bit lighter than my F6B. However, it's so well balanced and has such a low center of gravity that I think I have a bike I can ride until I can no longer remember where to put the key. The new Beemer is probably going to be a fine bike but the F6B keeps the smile on my face.

Lots of Baggers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcityd View Post
    I did a quick online search for bagger style bikes. Harley is the king of the market place followed by our F6B's. I own both of these brands. There are two new players in this market, BMW and Moto GUZZI along with the other large Japanese bike manufacturers. The UK has the Triumph Rocket Touring. The other North American bike manufacturer, Victory also has their Cross Country. By my count that is 9 motorcycle manufacturers building a bagger. The market cannot be large enough to support this style of bike from so many builders. A friend who works for Honda told me that they were considering dropping our bike from their line up in 2017 due to slow sales. This did not happen and the 2017 is now listed for sale in Canada. Lets face it you can still find the odd new 2013 F6B out there. Is there about to be a boom in bagger sales that we don't know about?
    I agree, the bagger market seems kind of saturated. But so does the 'adventure bike' market, and manufacturers aren't abandoning that space. Some of those baggers, like the Guzzi and Rocket III Touring, are rare enough to make the F6B look like a hot seller!

It's great that we have such a wide selection to choose from. I keep worrying that with the advanced age of many buyers of these bikes, sales might start dropping and manufacturers will cut back on their product lines. Luckily that isn't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    The only complaint I have about my k1600 GT is the wimpy speakers. The F6B speakers are far superior. However, the BMW has bluetooth, but I don't think it works very well. I prefer to listen through the bikes speakers.
    Agreed. My 2014 K1600GTL just doesn't have the sound qualities that I get from my F6B. But, I love the BMW technology versus the Sena bluetooth SM-10 I have strapped to the handlebar of my F6B. I plan to take a really hard look at the K1600B when it comes out.

I have had my share of Beemers and have had excellent results from performance, reliability and style. As long as I was living close to a BMW dealer or Beemer mechanic I had no problem with staying with the brand. Once those thing were no longer an option I immediately switched to the "6". Although I am a relative newcomer to the Honda brand and have been pleased so far. I like the idea of having a multitude of options for repair if necessary.
    Regards,
    Sober Biker

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
    It is the illusion of knowledge."
    ~ Stephen Hawking

2016 Goldwing F6B - Yet to be named
    2013 Goldwing F6B - "Bat Bike" Traded
    2008 BMW K1200LT - "Da Couch"

BMW Service

I've ridden a Harley for the past 20 years and have only just switched to a "Metric" bike, the F6B,which ironically I bought at a BMW dealership. I've put over a 100,000 miles on my Harley(s) in those years and never had difficulty finding a Harley dealer when needed. One of my riding mates has had both Hondas and BMW's. He carries a travel book of other BMW riders that have tools and some experience with repairs in case of trouble while on tour due to the dirth of Motorad stores across North America. We've been fortunate to not ever need a BMW repair while touring other than tires. Same goes for the Honda. I live in a large city with more than one BMW Motorad store so the B would be an option for me. However there are many Honda Powersports stores across all of North America. This helps with confidence when planning a trip, you're not too worried about needing service on the road as you're like to come across one within a hundred miles or so.Attachment 24800Attachment 24801