New BMW Bagger - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New BMW Bagger

My local dealer has a used Rune that is way more than a new F6B,... go figure?
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
    I think that part of Honda's problem is with their pricing strategy. Everyone knows that a $21k bike today, will be $15-17k next year if it hasn't sold. They need to price the bikes more competitively to begin with.

A prime example is the DN-01. I thought it was actually a cool bike, but the pricing was insane. It too dropped much lower as NOS, but by then the marketing damage was done.

Color choices is another area where Honda has missed the boat. The Forza scooter is actually a very decent bike, but only available in Honda Red in the US. Other color choices might have made it more sellable in the US. Same with some of the other bikes.

The CTX1300 deluxe is also a great bike, but their only really decent color is the slate blue, which is actually really sharp. The stock windshield is lacking.

The platforms themselves are pretty bullet proof, but it's the extra nicieties and price are what contribute to volume sales.
    Honda is probably the quirkiest of the major manufacturers, in that they take a lot of big risks in some areas (DN-01, Valkyrie, CTX, DTC transmissions) while being unaccountably conservative in other areas (looooooooong refresh cycles, for instance, and slow to include traction control and ABS on many models). But I give them credit for innovation. There are bikes that Honda makes, and technology that they employ, that is unlike any other manufacturer.

Drove a K1200LT two seasons for about 24K. Never could ride it long with out back, shoulder, and crotch discomfort. Even with 1300.00 worth of Russel Day Long. Had a low speed wobble I could never figure out and cure. Couldn't let go of the handle bars for 3 seconds at any speed. Extremely complicated piece of machinery moderately difficult to maintain. It was very smooth and plenty fast with very little engine heat discomfort. Fantastic wind protection and stereo. Probably wouldn't buy another Beemer though. Resale is horrible Maybe I'll get a used one in five years with 14K miles for 6 grand. Also, if your not mechanically inclined you need to be fairly affluent to own a Beemer. It was an interesting learning experience and I did enjoy messing around with it in the garage.

Thoughts of an old man who has owned a lot of bikes

Honda is now a worldwide company. Growth is coming from India and Asian markets with large populations which translate to big markets. However they are not the people who will pay cash for a $20K F6B. That is a limited market to affluent countries where I am fortunate enough to reside--so they ride that train with a solid platform and proven record and don't fix what is not broken. The USA is one of only a few places on this planet where there is enough disposable income to make those purchases. My son in law rides and when he lived in Croatia, just watching a big Harley ride in from Germany was a big deal to him just a few years ago.

Honda is building and investing R&D where they can sell the most---and I can't blame them. If my B had issues, then I would be singing a different song.

I have friends who have owned BMW. They may look great, but I learned from their mistakes. We were on a tour a few years back. There were 3 of them and 2 of the 3 broke down the first day. I watched both of them kill their cell phone batteries trying to get a repair done on Thursday afternoon in western NC.

I don't think the BMW is coping the F6B---just the bagger style whether it is the F6B, Street Glide, Cross Country, or Chieftian.

I love my F6B and the crappy red paint that covers it---everybody else can have the pretty Beemers. It does not matter to me if Honda does a refresh/update or not. I am good with what I got.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Circle-5

K1600B Launch Ceremony

First public presentation of the BMW K1600B on the roof of the Petersen Automotive Museum, 10 October 2016, here in Los Angeles:

Attachment 24623

Circle-5

BMW Adaptive Headlight on K1600 Bagger

The LED light source is fixed. The mirror redirects the beam when the bike tilts.

Attachment 24624Attachment 24625Attachment 24626

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Just don't attempt to drive a Yugo over the Mackinac Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    First public presentation of the BMW K1600B on the roof of the Petersen Automotive Museum, 10 October 2016, here in Los Angeles:

Attachment 24623
    To me the rear tire/rim looks too small for the rest of the bike and the exhaust looks way too big!!!....But I will go look at the thing next spring when the weather is better...It would take a "Lot of Bike" to move me away from the F6B at this point....Ride safe

Well the exhaust is certainly hideous and the bags look tiny.

Mike

BMW bagger

Beautiful bike.however if I just wanted looks only would prob have street glide,my opinion .However guys we have a proven platform motorcycle that's versatile as any bike I've ever owned as well reliable.By the way doesn't look like much lower leg wind deflection on the BMW.