New BMW Bagger - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New BMW Bagger

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    To me the rear tire/rim looks too small for the rest of the bike and the exhaust looks way too big!!!....But I will go look at the thing next spring when the weather is better...It would take a "Lot of Bike" to move me away from the F6B at this point....Ride safe

BMW didn't think the K1600B through too well, they rushed to market.
    BMW was always top notch for the Adventure market with the GS and top notch in the touring market with both the K and R tourers, the K1600B, on the other hand won't fare nearly as well.
    There was huge support for the Concept 101, it's a beautiful bike, where the K1600B is a huge compromise. They should have kept it much closer to the Concept 101 style.
    Put them next to each other, they don't even compare.

Attachment 24629 Attachment 24630

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    First public presentation of the BMW K1600B on the roof of the Petersen Automotive Museum, 10 October 2016, here in Los Angeles:

Attachment 24623
    not impressed with the pic of the bike.

BMW Bagger - no thanks

I've owned and ridden Beemers for a very long time. Still have my R1200RT. We had heard about this new bagger, but went for the F6B instead of waiting. For one thing, the service charges on a K bike are absolutely horrendous. THere's so much tech packed in there the whole bike has to be taken apart just to do fluid changes. On the old K1200LT, that meant $983 at the dealer. The bikes also have a CANBUS electronic system, no fuse box, so doing any work yourself is difficult. Many of the codes can only be read by a dealer, so your local multi brand shop is a no go. The nice thing is gobs of power, heated factory seats and grips, and great handling. But the cost is higher, BMW does not discount, and as I said before, the service charges will kill you, and that K engine, the flying brick, is expensive as hell if something goes wrong. If your ABS pump fails, you're out $2300 right there. I was happy as hell that my 2016 F6B doesn't have ABS. I am very, very happy with the F6B, and my wife finds the lower stance more to her liking and the seating more comfortable. The only thing we truly miss are the electronic adjustable windshield (putting on a Madstad), and an easily detachable rear topcase. Small sacrifices I can live with. I ride all year and this bike is perfect for me.

Geoff in CT

Geoff, Just curious why you don't like ABS...

Thanks for posting a "live" picture Circle-5.

Hmm...not so sure now if I like it as much as I did when I saw the promotional materials. Looks like an awfully high COG, and not as proportioned end to end as I thought. Definitely need to see one in person..

I think BMW can fit a few more "B"' badges on there though.....

Maybe i'm misunderstanding your post.....

Quote Originally Posted by dkooris View Post
    I've owned and ridden Beemers for a very long time. Still have my R1200RT. We had heard about this new bagger, but went for the F6B instead of waiting. For one thing, the service charges on a K bike are absolutely horrendous. THere's so much tech packed in there the whole bike has to be taken apart just to do fluid changes. On the old K1200LT, that meant $983 at the dealer. The bikes also have a CANBUS electronic system, no fuse box, so doing any work yourself is difficult. Many of the codes can only be read by a dealer, so your local multi brand shop is a no go. The nice thing is gobs of power, heated factory seats and grips, and great handling. But the cost is higher, BMW does not discount, and as I said before, the service charges will kill you, and that K engine, the flying brick, is expensive as hell if something goes wrong. If your ABS pump fails, you're out $2300 right there. I was happy as hell that my 2016 F6B doesn't have ABS. I am very, very happy with the F6B, and my wife finds the lower stance more to her liking and the seating more comfortable. The only thing we truly miss are the electronic adjustable windshield (putting on a Madstad), and an easily detachable rear topcase. Small sacrifices I can live with. I ride all year and this bike is perfect for me.

Geoff in CT
    Just some thoughts -
    The new K1600B is not the "flying brick" engine (I think you know that, but your post is not clear on it.).
    The ABS brakes are no longer "servo" driven like the K1200. No servo pump to go bad. I was very disappointed that the F6B doesn't have ABS, it's the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in a long time.
    Perhaps your BMW dealer doesn't discount, but every dealer I've dealt with has been fine with negotiating price.
    While I love my F6b, I also love my K1200LT. It's the third one (2000, 2002, 2009) and I have over 135,000 miles on them. Typically get 14-16 thousand miles from the rear tire, and about 19,000 from the front. Maintenance has not been an issue. 2002 had a steering damper replaced under warranty, 2002 never needed anything but routine maintenance, and the 2009 has had 1 rear rotor replaced. Is the routine maintenance a bit more expensive than the F6B? Probably, but they're both expensive if you don't do it yourself. I think the biggest issue with the K1600 is the valve clearane inspection - that is complicated and will run some money. However, I never had any of the valve clearances on the 3 K1200's to be out of spec, and was told by 2 mechanics that if they were in spec at the 12,000 mile check they would probably always be. Just had the 2009 checked at 40,000 miles and they were still in spec.

So, I love my F6B, but will be looking at the K1600B when it's available. Maybe I need a 3rd bike................

Circle-5

F6B vs. K1600B

I think we all agree that 2017 is the last model year for the F6B as we know it, possibly a short one if the next (hybrid?) Wing is introduced mid-year. If that is the case, there will be a very short overlap for a magazine to run a comparison test. While the BMW is likely to come out on top, if anything because of its 160hp and every feature anybody ever wanted, there are two aspects of this comparison that cannot be ruled out.

First, the Honda F6B represents what BMW used to be: from the design logic of a horizontally-opposed engine configuration to the conservative, long-lasting reliability of its components. Anyone who has owned a BMW Boxer twin knows what I'm talking about. While BMW boxers continue to equip most police fleets worldwide because of their simplicity and reliability, I can't imagine a state-of-the-art K-bike doing the same. Honda got it right with the GL1800.

Second, I paid $14,000 for my 2013 F6B this year – just over half of the projected cost of a K1600B and even less when factoring in a lifetime of service. For those of us who keep forgetting to win the lottery, there can be no comparison. And the F6B is a better-looking bike.

Just being honest, I don't really like the looks of that Beemer. Just looks off. Doesn't flow. That was my turn off when I was looking at the other verions of the 1600. If they had been able to keep it closer to the concept bike, my opinion migh be different. Maybe it will look better in person.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

ABS pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by Big TP View Post
    Geoff, Just curious why you don't like ABS...
    I don't dislike it entirely, but with practice and over time you can stop your bike faster without ABS. I've been riding for just under 50 years, and my 1998 R100RT was my first ABS bike. Trouble with the sensors, the brake switches, and things of that sort from time to time. Meanwhile, my Ducati Monster S4 didn't have ABS, I never had a lockup or a problem with braking. I understand why people like it, but I'd just as soon not have the tech headaches that can come with ABS. I also still have a BMW R1200RT that has ABS, and it's been in the shop several times for the sensors, thankfully not for the ABS pump itself. I love that my new F6B has linked brakes, but no ABS.

Geoff in CT

Love it. Getting one. I also love my F6B and other bikes and will plan on keeping them all and finding more room in the garage.